Scam text?

YouKnowWho
Contributor
Contributor
Hi everyone. I received a text yesterday from a short 5 digit number (I thought it would come through from 'PayPal'), saying 'PayPal: Have you recently attempted to make a payment for £63.56 GBP? Reply "1" if yes and reattempt your payment, reply "2" if no, and the payment will remain declined. Msg and Data rates apply.' There aren't any web links but I haven't tried to make that payment. I'm scared that if I send either of those texts, somehow it will send loads of money to them but I also don't want to lose that money if it's real! I didn't receive an email from PayPal and there's nothing about it on my online statements. Please advise?
Login to Me Too
3 REPLIES 3

DPCreations
Frequent Advisor
Frequent Advisor

Look at the words carefully.

Did you actually attempt to make the 63 pound payment?  If no, then you know the message is fake.

Think about the next section.

If you did then press  1 to re-make the payment or 2 and the payment would be declined.  This doesn't make sense at all.  You, the sender, do not decline a payment; that's for the receipient to accept or reject if there is such an option.

So, the message just doesn't make sense. 

You need to analyze messages, not react with scred emotions.

Really, though, you need check your account online; don't rely on phone messages for critical activities.  Any real messages from PayPal will be on your account summary page.

Login to Me Too

YouKnowWho
Contributor
Contributor
Alright, thanks.
Login to Me Too

Zarabeth
New Community Member

I also received thes message and it came from 729725 which is supposed to be paypal. This is where i get confused. I did not try to send any money and certainly not over 1,000 USD! If this is a scam how arfe they texting from the paypal number?

Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.