Scam email

AGMarkham
Contributor
Contributor
I think I received I scam email saying it was from paypal. It was about a purchase on spotify. I checked my account and there is no such purchase. Isn't there an email to guard these kinds of things?
Login to Me Too
2 REPLIES 2

pitunia1
Contributor
Contributor

My wife received an email from "paypal service" claiming she purchased a $9.99 deal from"spotify".  My wifes name is not on our paypal account, they should not even have her email. To opt out of the purchase it said to click the "not me" and get the instructions from the pdf.  We did that and it showed the ficticous order and of course no way to get out.  But, we logged in to our paypal account while doing all of this via their email.  

I think we need to change our password on paypal.

Login to Me Too

JyBravo70
New Community Member

I received one of these email this morning and checked on PayPal and this transaction is not listed anywhere.  The email looks conviencing but there are a few items that drew my attention.

1.  The FROM address is all wrong, as is the TO address.  I checked the detials of the email and discovered this as the largest clue
  2.  My first and last name is not used in the email, PayPal typically adds in your account's profile real name
  3.  The Description field in the transaction is blank, just unit price and Qty and amounts are listed
  4.  The merchant, Spotify, is listed twice with emails to their support address and a cancel now link provided as well as the PayPal UK help site.

As the transaction is in GBP I guess the UK is the best thing they can go with.  I have a PayPal US and PayPal China account, not a UK one.  I believe this is a scam to get you to click a link and open a page with spyware or malware on it. 

I forwarded the email to spoof@paypal.com and got a reply stating they received and to delete the email and not click on any links or attachments (no attachments on the email).  

Capture1_LI.jpg

Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.