SCAM

temp201906201c
Contributor
Contributor

Hi, Basically a few days ago I put my phone on Gumtree to sell o received an email from someone called casey <removed> wanting to buy all was well He asked me to request the payment what I thought was strange but still went along with it I received emails from what seemed to be a legitimate paypal account he next day I woke up to about 2 emails supposedly for paypal warning me that if I don't send the items they will forward my details onto online fraud team and all that jazz I have really bad anxiety so ended up sending the item off with royal mail and thinking I needed to give the proof of shipment before I get the money as it said in the email sent the reference number and still haven't received the payment I literally just want to know if there's a way to either A get my item back or B get the money he was supposed to give me I already know I've been 100% mugged off and should of done more research because I went back and looked at the emails after I sent it out and realised it was fake accounts then recieved more emails telling me to send 300 pound as a refund or someyhing that obviously i didnt im not that stupid ( i mean i did send the ohone off now im in this situation :/) so this pure divvy now has a free phone and I'm £170 down just stressed out because I can't afford to even get myself a new phone and was relying on that money

Login to Me Too
1 REPLY 1

DPCreations
Frequent Advisor
Frequent Advisor

You need to learn how to recognize fake email addresses.  The 2 about the threats for shipping were not even with PayPal email addresses.

The first message you received was enough to know a scam was coming.  Your response now confirmed you as a "live" account with a real email address.  It went downhill quickly from there.

Gumtree is well known as a place to originate scams.  Posting a phone for sale is also like posting an invitation for a scam.

This was all done outside of PayPal, so there is nothing PayPal can do.  The only option would be mail retrieval with your mail system, but that's not likely.

You voluntarily sent so it would be hard to claim theft.

Suggest you spend a month reading all the horror stories on the forum before you attempt to buy or sell with PayPal.

Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.