Rent from subtenant through paypal. Tenant checked out @ end of lease, disputed the charge & WON!

YapLay
Contributor
Contributor

I'm hoping someone could  she some light as I was scammed out of my rent money when I subleased to a tenant and they insisted on using paypal.  I agreed then when they left, they disputed the amount on paypal.  I got a lawyer and sent paypal the lease and letter from my lawyer and paypal ruled in my favor. The 'buyer'/subtenant then opened a chargeback dispute.  I sent ALL of the same material to paypal again.  They became the liaison between me and the 'buyer's' bank.  The bank went in the favor of the buyer/subtenant, not me, even though our lease was legally binding and I included texts and emails from my subtenant/buyer referencing their stay, their satisfaction with the apartment and when they checked out.  Small claims can't guarantee I can get the money from these scam artists and the lawyers fees will be way over the amount of the rent and can not be claimed in a small claims case.  Any advice out there Community?  I can't believe there is no protection for me, another paypal customer even with evidence, signed contracts, texts and emails.  It makes it seem like anyone can scam using paypal because its so easy.  I had no idea.  Even the representative I spoke with today after waiting on hold for 4.5 hours (I just worked while my phone sat there) that it happens all the time.  It happens all the time??? 

Login to Me Too
1 REPLY 1

Whac-A-Mole
Frequent Advisor
Frequent Advisor

why did you accept Paypal in the first place?

or credit card payments?

Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.