Refunded AliExpress purchase through Paypal, and now the buyer opens a dispute?

andy9573
Contributor
Contributor

I bought an item from a seller on AliExpress, but when it arrived it was counterfeit and not as described. So I opened a dispute on AliExpress, to which the buyer told me to cancel because his store already has a high dispute rate in the past 3 months, so my dispute would close their store. He offers to refund me through PayPal, which I accept. He sends me the refund as a "goods and services".

As soon as I close the dispute on AliExpress, he opens a dispute on PayPal saying that he did not receive the service! My question is, is he protected against this? How do I win this dispute?

Login to Me Too
6 REPLIES 6

Quandary
Advisor
Advisor

If you closed the dispute - it's game over - some sellers have a very good understanding of the terms in the User Agreement and they are well aware of how to navigate the system.  Once a dispute is closed it can’t be reopened.   Next he sends you money as "goods and services" - from PayPal's perspective - this would appear as you are the seller.  The sender then opens a dispute against you claiming what he paid for was not delivered.  PayPal then refunds his money - it's a scam but, it uses the policies in place to protect you against you.

Login to Me Too

andy9573
Contributor
Contributor

Is there any way for me to win this dispute? I have already provided the service, so his claim is shouldn't hold. Also, aren't digital services not covered under buyer protection?

Login to Me Too

maryannett
Contributor
Contributor
Did you win your dispute I have a similar situation
Login to Me Too

Whac-A-Mole
Frequent Advisor
Frequent Advisor

@andy9573 wrote:

Is there any way for me to win this dispute? I have already provided the service, so his claim is shouldn't hold. Also, aren't digital services not covered under buyer protection?

no seller protection,you cant prove delivery to him in China/

but back to your ALIBABA express dispute,Alibaba is strict with their sellers,try contacting them and tell them what happens.

Login to Me Too

Whac-A-Mole
Frequent Advisor
Frequent Advisor

@andy9573 wrote:

what service did you provide?

you said it is a refund from him for the counterfeit you bought from him on Ali express?

you will lose this dispute.but read my suggestion on your Aliexpress purchase or if you used a credit card,skip Paypal and Ali and file with cc issuer/

Login to Me Too

maryannett
Contributor
Contributor
I didn't provide any service. They are a seller on aliexpress I bought hair from them and it wasn't good when I asked them back for my money they said they sent it but I let aliexpress check my account and they saw no refund so I told them to refund it through PayPal if they having an issue so they did on the 18th October . Little did I know they sent it as a goods and service payment as I was told about an half and your ago . But I called PayPal and I told them to check the transaction details cause becuase it says in the note that it was a refund sent to me for hair I wasn't satisfied with . And after they chexked to verify what I was saying they just closed in my favor . And I believe this would be my last time using PayPal for anything . I reported the seller on aliexpress and PayPal.
Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.