Recent problem with compromised information

jamiba
Contributor
Contributor

Earlier this week my bank information was compromised. I paid online vendors using PayPal OneClick, and somehow, my information was stolen, and somebody was fishing in my bank account. When I pay with paypal, does the vendor get my bank account information? I always thought that was between PayPal and I. 

Login to Me Too
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Solved

DPCreations
Frequent Advisor
Frequent Advisor

PayPal does not send send your banking information to the merchant.

For a problem with the website you need to contact that business.  For a problem with the order you should have phoned the business.  A reputable business would provide contact iinformation.  To me, it seems that business would be suspect.

How did you initially pay?  Was it with a credit card or with your PayPal funds?  Did the shopping cart process the payment through PayPal?

What details do you have about the card issues with the bank?

There are a lot of details missing and lot more investigiation to do to find out the problem with your credit card.

View solution in original post

Login to Me Too
14 REPLIES 14

lancelotme
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Did you download the Paypal APP on your smart phone?

Do you download many APPs?

How is the security of your phone?

There are some malware which can overlay on your downloaded APP,it follows you to sites like banking and steal your password and login ID.

Login to Me Too

jamiba
Contributor
Contributor

I don't even use PayPal on my phone, I've never downloaded the app. I only use it from my PC. I did make a purchase from a business that I've used before. There were problems with the purchase, it was never received. When I first went back to the businesses Website, to inquire about the product not being received, I got a Google warning, about the site being 'Unsecure'. I never got that warning when I ordered from them, so I choose to request a refund through PayPal, rather than going to their, now unsecure site. Also, after I ordered from them, there was a fishing attempt made on my card. The security people from my bank caught it, and the card was cancelled. What I'm trying to find out is, what account information any online vendor gets, when I pay with PayPal? I was under the impression that PayPal sent the vendor the money, not my Banking information. 

Login to Me Too
Solved

DPCreations
Frequent Advisor
Frequent Advisor

PayPal does not send send your banking information to the merchant.

For a problem with the website you need to contact that business.  For a problem with the order you should have phoned the business.  A reputable business would provide contact iinformation.  To me, it seems that business would be suspect.

How did you initially pay?  Was it with a credit card or with your PayPal funds?  Did the shopping cart process the payment through PayPal?

What details do you have about the card issues with the bank?

There are a lot of details missing and lot more investigiation to do to find out the problem with your credit card.

Login to Me Too

jamiba
Contributor
Contributor

The account information is what I was wondering about, so it's back to square one, trying to figure out how my card got hacked. As for the purchase, yes I did the shopping cart, at the merchant, and paid with PayPal, One-Click. I got a refund through PayPal from the merchant yesterday, for the unreceived goods. My Bank security caught the fishing attempt, so financially, I've lost nothing. The main issue was going to pay for goods at a local store and finding out my card had been canceled. I'd like to know how someone got my information, so it doesn't happen again. 

Login to Me Too

DPCreations
Frequent Advisor
Frequent Advisor

Since you paid with your PayPal funds, then no card information was involved.

Now you should review everywhere you recently paid with your card--online and in person.  You should review everyone who has physical access to your card.  How to you check your card online account?  What computers do you use?  What wi-fi access do you use?  Is it a chip card?  Have you ever given your card account number to anyone over the phone?

What details do you have about the suspicious activity?

Login to Me Too

jamiba
Contributor
Contributor

I did NOT pay with PayPal funds, the money went from my bank, through PayPal, to the merchant. I have been reviewing every recent transaction, and only one stands out. It stands out because I never got the product I paid for, and because, when I tried to contact them directly through their Website, I got a 'Unsecure Website' warning from Google. That's why I went through PayPal to get the refund. There was no 'Unsecure Website' warning when I originally ordered the product from them. Also, no, I do not give out my card information to anyone over the phone, or through Email. The only stores I've used it at for the past 2 months were WalMart, Home-Depot, Target, and the local Grocery store. Yes it is a chipped card. I don't understand how a merchant I paid, through PayPal, could hack my info, if PayPal doesn't give the merchants my bank info. 

Login to Me Too

DPCreations
Frequent Advisor
Frequent Advisor

So it's nothing to do with PayPal.

You would just need to discuss the issue with your credit card bank for details.

Login to Me Too

jamiba
Contributor
Contributor

My bank was the first place I went for answers. They told me that it was NOT the local stores who would steal my info. They told me that Online shopping WAS the most likely place to have my information stolen. Since every online transaction I make is through PayPal, it's either here, or somehow the merchants I pay through here, are getting information, they aren't supposed to get. 

Login to Me Too

DPCreations
Frequent Advisor
Frequent Advisor

Was the issue with your bank account your credit card?  What was the card?

I'm not clear what really happened and why the bank said it was pfishing attemtp.  The bank would have electronic tracking information to know where it originated.  That's the type of information you need from the bank--information to support their claim. 

Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.