Receiving money through PayPal from another person

Jerkyman
New Community Member

We have a person who wants to purchase something we have listed on Craigslist. She is not able to pick it up (says she is a flight attendant and lives in Alabama). She has a company who can pick it up. She wants to pay through PayPal but I'm not sure of this. She says it will not be picked up until the money is in our account. Do you think this sounds legitimate?? I'm a little leery of it.

Login to Me Too
1 REPLY 1

kernowlass
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@Jerkyman

Sounds like this scam   >>>

They encourage you to use paypal and tell you they can't collect as they are disabled / working abroad etc etc.

You will get/got a "fake" email that looks as though it is from paypal.....it isn't.
It will say the buyer has paid ...you won't have been paid.
The 'fake' paypal email will tell you that the buyer has paid for the item + shipping costs but you must send those shipping costs to the courier via western union / moneygram BEFORE the funds are released to you.

They are not interested in the item, they just want the western union etc funds and you will never see money in your paypal balance.
They also threaten legal action...have a laugh at that one and ignore it as its rubbish.
Paypal NEVER tell you to send an item before the payment is showing in your paypal account.
Paypal NEVER expect you to use a rival money transfer service eg Moneygram or Western Union.

Delete any emails and ignore the scammers.

Advice is voluntary.
Kudos / Solution appreciated.
Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.