Protection on booking vacation property in Costa Rica (From Canada)

Oddjobski
Contributor
Contributor

If I book a vacation property through Pay Pal, with a company in Costa Rica. The company has agreed to send a Pay Pal invoice so we can pay the deposit. (aprox 50% of total amount).

1) Will I be covered through Pay Pal if we find out the property is a fraud when we arrive. It is not possible to verify for certain the property is legitimate at this time (from Canada).

2) The protection mentioned states that only a single order can be covered, not multiple transations. We will be required to send a send payment for the balance within 30 days. Will this be considered two transations and each would be handles seperately?

Please advise

Cheers

Login to Me Too
2 REPLIES 2

snowshoe
Frequent Advisor
Frequent Advisor

You should avoid using PayPal for transactions like this as there's no buyer protection.  This would be considered a service therefore you are assuming all risks.  If you must use PayPal, pay with a credit card.  If an issue does happen, it's possible your credit card issuer can assist with a chargeback.  (You should check with them first.)

Login to Me Too

Oddjobski
Contributor
Contributor

Thank you for the quick response.

Would we be protected through Pay Pal if we were to use the E-cheque? I do not have a US account. Not sure what the best option is since I know sending cash is not to be considered.Wire tranfers are a definate no-no.

I will check with our card company to see if they offer protection.

This is proving to be a bit of a challenge.

Cheers

Robin

Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.