Potential fraud buyer - claiming item not as described but won't send photos showing problems

toriandchip
New Community Member

I have a seller that I am worried is trying to scam me out of a  $160 vintage backgammon set.  The listing had 12 photos, literally everything was documented and photographed - all angles covered.  The set was mint, with even the felt backing still intact and 50 plus year old score sheets.  None had mold or any smell, but he is trying to claim the set has mold and is falling apart, he is requesting a return.  I have asked him, thru eBay resolution communication, to send photos to show what he is referring to for damage / pieces falling apart.  He is refusing to send photos, which makes me uncomfortable that once I agree to accept the return, I'll get a box with a backgammon set from the  Goodwill or some other random piece of junk.

What seller protection is in place to help with this type of possible fraud or scam?  What steps do I need to take to cover my behind from behind scammed out of a mint vintage game set and shipping costs?

Any thoughts or help is greatly appreciated! 

Thank you!

Login to Me Too
1 REPLY 1

Whac-A-Mole
Frequent Advisor
Frequent Advisor

There is no seller protection for item not as described as neither Ebay or Paypal has seen the item.

so buyer will be asked to return the item with tracking for full refund,if it is Ebay dispute,you pay return shipping,if Paypal dispute,buyer pays.

now,if he does return a different item,Paypal will do nothing but Ebay may,

such is the peril of playing etailer.

if you refuse return,then Ebay assume you dont want it back,so he does not have to return the item,if he files chargeabck with his cc issuer,it will slap you with a $20 fee plus he keeps the item   

Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.