Potential Craigslist Scam

MGracex
Contributor
Contributor

I recently advertised my motorcycle on craigslist.  I got a response via text (which was my request).  See attached.  I think this is a scam, but I'm not the one receiving money and I've only told them I would deliver to a dealer once the payment cleared.  It just doesn't seem to ring true.IMG_5928.jpegIMG_5927.jpeg

Login to Me Too
9 REPLIES 9

kernowlass
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@MGracex

THIS IS A TYPICAL PAYPAL SCAM.

They encourage you to use paypal and often say they will send a courier or shipping agent to collect it.
You will get a FAKE paypal email to say you have been paid............you won't have been paid.

The 'fake' paypal email will tell you that the buyer has paid for the item + shipping costs but you must send those shipping costs to the courier via western union / moneygram BEFORE the funds are released to you.
They are not interested in the item, they just want the western union etc funds and you will never see money in your paypal balance.

They also threaten legal action...have a laugh at that one and ignore it as its rubbish.
Paypal NEVER tell you to send an item before the payment is showing in your paypal account.
Paypal NEVER expect you to use a rival money transfer service eg Moneygram or Western Union.

Also their is no seller protection on paypal for any type of motor vehicle. CASH ON COLLECTION OR BANK TRANSFER IS MY ADVICE.
Delete any emails and ignore the scammers.

Advice is voluntary.
Kudos / Solution appreciated.
Login to Me Too

MGracex
Contributor
Contributor

Thank you!  I appreciate it.  

Login to Me Too

Nikkc001
Thanks! I received this email in response to my Craigslist ad today: Thanks for your response...I hope it is in good condition? and there wont be any cause of disappointment if i purchase it from you? I want to buy it for my son as a birthday gift and I am ready to pay the asking price. I'm an Ocean Engineer and am currently on sea right now which is strictly no calls. My Mode of payment is PayPal because i don't have access to my bank account online, but i have it attached to my PayPal account. Since I'm requesting this transaction to be done via PayPal, I will be responsible for all the Paypal fees/charges on this transaction, if you don't have an account with paypal, it's pretty easy, safe and secure to open one. Just log on to www.paypal.com. I hope we can make this transaction as fast as possible. Less I forgot, I have a Mover that will come for it once payment is cleared in your paypal account and they will be handling it for me, as I look forward to hearing from you with your paypal information as requested below. Your PayPal e-Mail Address : Full name: Firm Price: Phone Number: Many Thanks
Login to Me Too

DPCreations
Frequent Advisor
Frequent Advisor

@Nikkc001

Another well known scam.

Login to Me Too

DPCreations
Frequent Advisor
Frequent Advisor

Of course it's a scam.

You announced that you would accept a scam by lisitng the motorcycle on Craig's scam List.

You continued that showing your acceptance by continuing text with a scammer.

NEVER accept PayPal payment for an in-person pickup.

NEVER accept PayPal as payment for a vehicle.

ALWAYS insist on cash for local pickup.

ALWAYS insist on cash for vehicle sales.

Login to Me Too

KatL1
New Community Member

There is fraudulent activity via MoneyGram. I was selling a purse on Craigslist. The buyer offers a higher price to include shipping. They are not able to release funds to PayPal until there is a valid USPS tracking number. I emailed the tracking number since they do not accept phone calls. There is no answer on this google voice number because the buyer is always “at work.” They send a follow up email with a new problem - my PayPal individual account can not accept the money, and I need to upgrade to a business account which can accept more money. I was requested to send $370 through money gram to this person. Below is the Money Gram Transfer payee details: Name <removed> Amount :$370.00 USD Country:USA The contact info for the buyer: Martha <removed> Phone <removed> The address that I mailed the purse: Name:Maryrose <removed>, Address: <removed> City: Nashua, State: New Hampshire Zipcode: 03063

Login to Me Too

KatL1
New Community Member

Shen vette <removed> Dallas, Texas

Login to Me Too

KatL1
New Community Member

Shevette <removed> Dallas Texas

Login to Me Too

kernowlass
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@KatL1

THIS IS A TYPICAL PAYPAL SCAM.

Paypal NEVER tell you to send an item before the payment is showing in your paypal account.
Paypal do not tell you to send trackable, they advise it for selling protection but it is not compulsory.
Paypal NEVER expect you to use a rival money transfer service eg Moneygram or Western Union.

Delete any emails and ignore the scammers.

Advice is voluntary.
Kudos / Solution appreciated.
Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.