Phishing?

PeterNil
New Community Member

I got the email below this PM.

When I realized that the link was a shortcut, I decided to just sign into my account in the regular manner and there are no unusual activities. So I suspect this is a phishing attempt.

I am unaware that I would have a PayPal account in the UK, where the email MAY originate from.

If I am right in the above assumptions, this is more as a warning to other users and to PayPal. If this is indeed a legimate warning, I am confused why it would be sent, considering the account activities are legit. I am also concerned how other people might have gained access to my email address, but that might be unrelated to PayPal.

Best!

Sent: Friday, January 05, 2018 8:48 PM
To: <Deleted by me>
Subject: RE [ News Update Summary ] : Account Activity Report Confirmation Statement Updates Receipt for Your Transaction On JANUARY 2018

Dear <my email address - deleted by me>
Reference #PP-500-568-533-736

We're concerned that someone is using your PayPal account without your knowledge. Please log in to PayPal to confirm your identity and review all your recent activity. Your quick response will help restore your account.

What to do

Log in to your PayPal account as soon as possible. We may ask you to confirm information you provided when you created your account to make sure you're the account holder. We'll then ask you to change your password and security questions.

You should also do the following for your own protection:

• Check your account details (address, email, phone, etc.) to make sure they're accurate.
  • Review your account activity to make sure you recognize the transactions made recently.
  • Report any unknown or unauthorized activity. Go to the Resolution Center and click Dispute a Transaction.

<removed>

Thanks for choosing PayPal. If you need help or have any questions, call us at h.t.t.p.s.://w.w.w..p.a.y.p.a.l..c.o.m./s.e.l.f.h.e.l.p./.c.o.n.t.a.c.t./c.a.l.l., )I added the dots because the word without the dots are not allowed..) For calls about Limitations, PayPal Credit, PayPal Debit Card, and Business Support: Mon-Fri 5:00 AM to 8:00 PM PT and Sat-Sun 6:00 AM to 6:00 PM PT, All other calls: Mon-Fri 5:00 AM to 10:00 PM PT and Sat-Sun 6:00 AM to 8:00 PM PT.

Sincerely,
PayPal

Help | Security Centre

Please do not reply to this email. To get in touch with us, Visit our page.

Copyright © 1999-2017 PayPal, Inc. All rights reserved. PayPal is located at 2211 N. First St., San Jose, CA 95131.

PayPal PPX001673:a2cef4c5e85bd

Login to Me Too
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Solved

angelleye
Advisor
Advisor
You can forward it to spoof@paypal.com to report it. Here is more detail: https://www.paypal.com/us/webapps/mpp/security/report-problem

Angell EYE - www.angelleye.com
PayPal Partner and Certified Developer - Kudos are Greatly Appreciated!

View solution in original post

Login to Me Too
3 REPLIES 3

angelleye
Advisor
Advisor

Yes, that's definitely a phishing attempt.  The link is a bogus short URL.  You did the proper thing by signing in directly.  If anything was going on you would see it in your account when you sign in that way.  

Login to Me Too

marilyngutsche
New Community Member

Just received an email this morning, indicating an added email on my account with a UK origin. I momentarily panicked and almost clicked the link provided  then remembered to log into my account instead. Then I took a closer look at the email and noted errors in syntax and misspellings, e.g. "Resolusion" Center, "Best regard", etc.

I'm a bit disappointed that there is no obvious way to report such attempts to PayPal - do they not care about them?

Login to Me Too
Solved

angelleye
Advisor
Advisor
You can forward it to spoof@paypal.com to report it. Here is more detail: https://www.paypal.com/us/webapps/mpp/security/report-problem

Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.