Examples of Suspected Fraud or Fake Emails

PayPal_Andy

Hey Everybody!

In an effort to make things easier to find and research, I'm going to consolidate as many threads as possible where we have examples of people trying to defraud hard working sellers (Craigslist emails, 'PayPal' emails asking you to send money outside of PayPal, etc).  This will also be used as a master thread for future posts regarding this same situation.

When you post your examples here, please remember to not include last names or contact information of whoever is sending these emails.  There's no way to confirm if that person has been defrauded as well and the name is being used fraudulently.

Thanks for your cooperation and remember, keep the conversation productive, on task, and above all, keep it clean. I know these things can be difficult and frustrating, but bleep filled posts or posts that look like government redacted files will never benefit anyone. 😄

Andy

Login to Me Too
2,000 REPLIES 2,000

PayPal_Olivia

Welcome to the forums, TMariehas3 and mssdm43!

@mssdm43 wrote:

I just got one this morning.  In the past when I received similar emails I forwarded them to Paypay.  I believe the email address to forward to is phishing at paypal.com.

Close! The email address you're thinking of is spoof@paypal.com.

If you want to test how phishing-savvy you are, try out the Fight Phishing Challenge!

Olivia

If this post or any other was helpful, please enrich the Community by giving kudos to its author, accepting it as a solution, and/or coming back to assist others. Members make this Community great!
Login to Me Too

VyronB

Received the same email a few days ago and when I opened I was alerted that it was a known phishing site.  Backed out and came to Paypal direct.

This was one of the best and most accurate email I have ever seen.  Very Dangerous.

Login to Me Too

rugrats2001
New Community Member

Just received this e-mail today, and it contained my full name in the body of the text.  How can that be done?

Login to Me Too

mimibucknell
New Community Member

I received this one today too. Scary

Login to Me Too

BB1750
New Community Member

The phishing attempts are getting more realistic looking.  The latest one had a header: This message is from a trusted sender.

The logo looked convincing.  In the body of the note was:

"We've limited your account access for the following reason, Your last login attempt failed from an unknown ip in Germany, Here at PayPal your security is our top priority."

The giveaway was a typo

Login to Me Too

mikecorr53
New Community Member

Anyone come across anything like this? It's got to be a scam.

31 Oct 2017 06:45:10 AM Receipt No: 1840- and other numbers like a card number

Hi(my email address) .com , had to be removed

This charge will appear on your statement as payment to PAYPAL *MAILBANGER.

Merchant information: <removed> 2508963614

Instructions to merchant: None provided

Delivery information: <removed>

Delivery method: Not specified

Description

Unit price

Qty

Amount

UK 5 Million opt in Promo Item #: 53

£247.00 GBP

£247.00 GBP

Total:

£247.00 GBP

Any help or advice would be appreciated. Initial message contained what appeared to be a credit card number which I had to remove. Ended <removed>

Mike

Login to Me Too

Trp413
New Community Member

Where do we report a scammer? Just got an email asking for all my info. <removed link>

Login to Me Too

Lenhen1
New Community Member
I got the same. It appears to be from a Russian ip address Whatever you do not respond to any link on it.
Login to Me Too

elizrosaland
New Community Member

How do I report a phish to PayPal?

Login to Me Too

Diddy012
New Community Member
Got a survey email, wanted to make sure it wasn’t a scam before taking the survey. It says the survey was commissioned by focusvision and you get a Starbucks gift card upon taking it.
Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.