Paypal transferred money to wrong paypal account holder because of typo mistake in an email

kirov60
New Community Member

I wanted to transfer money to paypal account holder. I typed his email address to send money. I had one character typo mistake in an email address. My bad luck, that happened to be an vallid email address of other paypal account holder. I realized my mistake after hitting send. Paypal transfereed the money instantly. I called back paypal as soon as realized my mistake. The paypal customer representatively assured me, not to worry, the money will come back to my account in three days. After 3 days, money never came to my account. I called paypal back to get status. They are telling me, they can not do anything unless the person who received my money returns the money. I agree, I made a mistake in typing an email address but this mistake is very common. Paypal should have way of helping their users when they make the mistake. At this time, I have risk of loosing $800.

Please let me know, what are my options in receving my money back which went to wrong paypal users because I type incorrect email address. The money was for other paypal account holder.

I am writing this to make community aware while using paypal. I do not know, in the future, I will use paypal. By teh way, paypal customer service received "F" grade from me. Each representative will give incorrect new information.

Regards,

Kirov60

Login to Me Too
2 REPLIES 2

kernowlass
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@kirov60

As the email address identifies someones paypal account then it is very important that you check it carefully before sending funds.

As for the mistake being very common !!!! hardly, in all my time on this board we only occasionally get a question about this.

As for paypal getting it back for you how do you expect them to do that? They don't have the authority to dip into someones paypal account and help themselves for a payment you willingly transfered to someone.

You need to contact that email address and ask them to refund the payment to you, but you can't force them to do so.

If you sent the money via goods / services then you could try a dispute for non receipt of item as that person would have nothing to send you OR if you funded that paypal payment via a card you could try contacting your card issuer and see if they will do a chargeback for you.

Paypal is fine if you use it sensibly.

Advice is voluntary.
Kudos / Solution appreciated.
Login to Me Too

lancelotme
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

I dont know why Paypal staff tells you it could come back in 3 days??

Unless it is an invalid email address or a valid email address but the owner of that address is not a Paypal member and does not claim the money,then it wll come back to you.

how did you send it,friend and family OR paying for goods and service?

How did you pay for it,Paypal fund,credit card or bank fund?

Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.