Paypal server transition email legit or phishing?

Cgerdin
Contributor
Contributor
Received email, asking to click on link within email to update my info on new encrypted system. Is that a real paypal request or a phishing attempt?
Login to Me Too
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Solved

DPCreations
Frequent Advisor
Frequent Advisor

That little research for the real email and hyperlink is so easy and yet ignored by so many who just blindly click.

Fortunately, you took the cautious route and hopefully it will help you avoid future scams.

View solution in original post

Login to Me Too
3 REPLIES 3

DPCreations
Frequent Advisor
Frequent Advisor

Is the email really from PayPal?  Did you check the real email address of the sender?

Did you check for information by signing into your PayPal account on a computer?

There is no reason to click the link.  Did you hover over the link to verify?

In any case, just ignore or forward to spoof at PayPal.com

Login to Me Too

Cgerdin
Contributor
Contributor

Hi, the email comes from <removed> (I had to replace the @ sign with "at" or it didn't let me post 

|PayPal U.S Group| <removed>

to:

"|PayPal U.S Group|" <removed>

date:

Tue, Jan 10, 2017 at 10:14 AM

subject:

Server transition ID#172YFH419

The link they want me to click on leads to the following address:

<removed>

Already forwarded it to spoof, but they never told me if it was fake or not, was just courious, lots of friends of mine have received this email.

Login to Me Too
Solved

DPCreations
Frequent Advisor
Frequent Advisor

That little research for the real email and hyperlink is so easy and yet ignored by so many who just blindly click.

Fortunately, you took the cautious route and hopefully it will help you avoid future scams.

Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.