Paypal cash reload cards

CalvinHu
Contributor
Contributor

Let's say I bought a reload card from someone and used it.

1. Can the person withdraw money from my Paypal through the card?

2. Can the person gain access to my account with the card?

Thanks!

Login to Me Too
3 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS

Accepted Solutions
Solved

sharpiemarker
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

You can only add money to the account with the card.  And the person would certainly have to know your PayPal login in order to access your PP account.

Kudos & Solved are greatly appreciated. 🙂

View solution in original post

Login to Me Too
Solved

DPCreations
Frequent Advisor
Frequent Advisor

Is the card registered to your name and address?

Did the previous owner register the card?

Login to Me Too
Solved

sharpiemarker
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

If it was never previously registered, and you use it, the card will be registered under your account.  You can only up reuse it to reload money into your account.

How does the PayPal My Cash Card work?

- Take your cash to a participating retailer.
- Buy a My Cash Card at any participating retailer.
- Visit www.paypal-cash.com and follow instructions to send the cash loaded onto your Card to your PayPal account.

You can reuse your My Cash Card to reload your PayPal account.
- Snap off bottom of your My Cash Card.
- Take to your favorite My Cash retailer.
- Present card to cashier and request to load $20 - $500. Reload fee may apply.
- Cashier will swipe your card. Funds are instantly loaded to your PayPal online account.

How do I protect myself from fraud when using the PayPal My Cash Card to load funds to my PayPal Account?

The PayPal My Cash card is for self-use only - only use it to load funds to your own PayPal Account. If anyone asks for your My Cash Card PIN number or information from your receipt, it's probably a scam. Don't give your My Cash Card PIN number to pay for something you buy through the classifieds or to collect a prize or sweepstakes. Do not give away your PIN or receipt information to any other party. If you give away your My Cash Card PIN number or information about the purchase transaction, the provider is not responsible for paying you back for any loss. The funds are not insured against loss.

If the 10-digit number and receipt info prior to loading the card is given out then the money on the unused card is vulnerable for anyone to redeem.

The person who has the physical card should just give it to you.  It is no use to them after first time loading because it only loads money to your account and to access your PayPal account they would need your PayPal login (email and password).  Say the person has the 10-digit number.  They have to go to www.paypal-cash.com to put in the 10-digit number and log in to a PayPal account.  If they do not have your log in, they cannot use the card or access your account.  If they use the card number with a different PayPal account, PayPal should give an error message that the card is already registered.

Login to Me Too
5 REPLIES 5
Solved

sharpiemarker
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

You can only add money to the account with the card.  And the person would certainly have to know your PayPal login in order to access your PP account.

Login to Me Too
Solved

DPCreations
Frequent Advisor
Frequent Advisor

Is the card registered to your name and address?

Did the previous owner register the card?

Login to Me Too

CalvinHu
Contributor
Contributor

It is currently unused by me. I dont know about the owner. The person has the physical card. Im just using it one time. I just want to know if the person could possibly get into my paypal with just the 10 digit reloadable card number.

Login to Me Too
Solved

sharpiemarker
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

If it was never previously registered, and you use it, the card will be registered under your account.  You can only up reuse it to reload money into your account.

How does the PayPal My Cash Card work?

- Take your cash to a participating retailer.
- Buy a My Cash Card at any participating retailer.
- Visit www.paypal-cash.com and follow instructions to send the cash loaded onto your Card to your PayPal account.

You can reuse your My Cash Card to reload your PayPal account.
- Snap off bottom of your My Cash Card.
- Take to your favorite My Cash retailer.
- Present card to cashier and request to load $20 - $500. Reload fee may apply.
- Cashier will swipe your card. Funds are instantly loaded to your PayPal online account.

How do I protect myself from fraud when using the PayPal My Cash Card to load funds to my PayPal Account?

The PayPal My Cash card is for self-use only - only use it to load funds to your own PayPal Account. If anyone asks for your My Cash Card PIN number or information from your receipt, it's probably a scam. Don't give your My Cash Card PIN number to pay for something you buy through the classifieds or to collect a prize or sweepstakes. Do not give away your PIN or receipt information to any other party. If you give away your My Cash Card PIN number or information about the purchase transaction, the provider is not responsible for paying you back for any loss. The funds are not insured against loss.

If the 10-digit number and receipt info prior to loading the card is given out then the money on the unused card is vulnerable for anyone to redeem.

The person who has the physical card should just give it to you.  It is no use to them after first time loading because it only loads money to your account and to access your PayPal account they would need your PayPal login (email and password).  Say the person has the 10-digit number.  They have to go to www.paypal-cash.com to put in the 10-digit number and log in to a PayPal account.  If they do not have your log in, they cannot use the card or access your account.  If they use the card number with a different PayPal account, PayPal should give an error message that the card is already registered.

Login to Me Too

sharpiemarker
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

You can add money this way instead with your phone, same idea without card:

https://www.paypal.com/us/webapps/mpp/ppcash

PayPal is pushing this method in their Help FAQs

Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.