Paypal Protection for forwarded mail?

SweetThuy
Contributor
Contributor

Does anyone know if I'm protected by paypal? I sold my laptop online through reddit and I shipped it to the buyer and suddenly today when I checked the tracking it says forwarded and the buyer PMs me on reddit asking what's going on.  I read online that there are scams going out like this and I'm kinda worried I'm getting scammed.

Login to Me Too
19 REPLIES 19

DPCreations
Frequent Advisor
Frequent Advisor

You need to do some research and also provide more information.

Selling a laptop on reddit is EXTREMLY high risk of loss.  There are scammers who are quite smart about PayPal policies.  They take advantage of inexperienced sellers.

What are the details of the payment transaction?  Did it indicate OK to ship?  Was it eligible for seller protection?  Did you ship to the address on the transaction detail page?

What shipping service did you use?  Was it insured?

Did you do any research on the address?  Was it a warehouse or a residence?

Ask the buyer why he registerd a forwarding address with USPS?

Where does the buyer live?

Ask the buyer for phone number and talk tot he buyer.

Login to Me Too

SweetThuy
Contributor
Contributor
I used USPS and yes I did ship it to the address listed on the paypal. It was also the same address he PMed me. I have feeling USPS messed up though. When I went to ship it out the USPS lady told me it was a little bit heavilier then how muhc I put so I paid to get a new label. But here's the weird part she told me to write the address down on to the box (Which I did). Tracking is insured but it's only up to 50 dollars. I never had a problem selling my stuff before so this is all new to me. I'm on the line with USPS waiting for a customer rep to answer.
Login to Me Too

Whac-A-Mole
Frequent Advisor
Frequent Advisor

so the shipping label you used is not enough,and the USPS lady suggested you print a new label?

and who asked you to write the address on the box?

did you upload the new shipping label to Paypal?

did you cancel the frist label?

you can call USPS 1-800 number and ask for more details,did the buyer filed a request with local post office to  forward the package?

Login to Me Too

SweetThuy
Contributor
Contributor
Yes and the lady did. She told me to write the return address (My address) and to address (his address) and when I gave her the package back to check she said it's good and slapped a label on there I didn't get to read it. I have placed a refund on USPS website for my first label. The buyer said he lived there with his mom. It's a Apartment address.
Login to Me Too

DPCreations
Frequent Advisor
Frequent Advisor

I always get my package weight correct and Priority Mail labels direct with USPS.com or PayPal shipping.  Where we live I schedule home pickup and carrier picks up at our door--in person.

Did the USPS print a new label or just make you pay a supplement?

Writing name and addresss on package was likely just as a contingency in case the mail lable got damaged.

Did you add the correct tracking number to the PayPal transaction?

You can fill an investigaton at USPS.com to get the regional information center involved.

It is posible that the delivery post office messed up.

It's alsopossible that multiple people live at the buyer's address and one of them did a forward.

As for how PayPal handles it, I don't know.  I read about a case a couple weeks ago where the buyer filed a claim.  The seller never reported back on the outcome.  I don't recall ever reading specifics in PayPal policies.

For now just get all the details from USPS that you can.  You could phone the local PO where the forward occurred.

You can also suggest that the buyer phone the local PO to ask why it was forwarded.  I've done that myself as soon as I saw one of my packages being diverted to forward erroneously.  It was a bad mail hander who did it twice.  In that case I also filled out a form at USPS.com; that got me a phone call from the local PO.  I was the buyer and I was looking out for my own best interest.

Login to Me Too

SweetThuy
Contributor
Contributor
I had to buy a complete whole new label. I asked her if she could just update it with the right weight and I pay the difference she said no.
Login to Me Too

DPCreations
Frequent Advisor
Frequent Advisor

Did you void the first label to get a refund?  If not, you need to do that immediately.

Getting a new label is typical for such cases.

Login to Me Too

SweetThuy
Contributor
Contributor
I did. The status on the USPS website for the old label is Refund Pending.
Login to Me Too

DPCreations
Frequent Advisor
Frequent Advisor

Good.  Refund will take weeks, I think.  USPS waits to make sure the label doesn't get used.

You seem to be doing everything right, although purchasing extra insurance might have been a good idea--not cheap.

Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.