Payment to Paypal account appears bogus, texter got my email address, nothing more. Problem?

t1higham
Contributor
Contributor

I had a truck advertised, and someone wanted to buy it, saying he was on an offshore rig, and only had text access. Wanted my Paypal ID (email address), then went silent. On checking to phone number, found it was a landline.

Do I have a potential problem? I gave only my email address, and will be very cautious about anything unsolicited by myself.

Login to Me Too
4 REPLIES 4

kernowlass
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@t1higham

Sounds like a typical scam, normally they send you an email that is a spoof saying they have paid you more money but you have to pay the ''shipper'' via western union or moneygram first before your funds are released.

They don't want your truck just that payment.

They always say they are in the military abroad or working offshore etc so can't pay the shipper themselves.

If you are not going to pay them then they are not interested and will move on to the next potential victim.

As long as you did not give them your password you are ok.

Also there is no paypal seller protection for motor vehicles so personally its the last way I would choose, get the buyer to pay cash on collection or bank transfer when they arrive to inspect the vehicle.

Advice is voluntary.
Kudos / Solution appreciated.
Login to Me Too

t1higham
Contributor
Contributor

Thank you so much for your kind response. I would not have given a password, but wondered if there was any way they could do anything with just my email address, it is quite public anyway! I'm just glad I don't have to expend any more energy to keep things straight. I texted back that this was "the end of the scam" anyway, so I'm sure this is the end of the matter. Thank you again, my friend.

Login to Me Too

lancelotme
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

getting your Paypal email address is good enough,they will send you fake Paypal emial like you get cash,or send you a fake Paypal invoice to pay for extra shipping before you can claim your payment.

Login to Me Too

kernowlass
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@t1higham

Your welcome, glad you were not scammed.

Advice is voluntary.
Kudos / Solution appreciated.
Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.