Payment Problems

brodencoulter1
New Community Member

So I sold a pair of shoes and shipped them to Nigeria. The buyer paid $550.00 in total for customs and for shipping and for the shoes. I had sent the mctn number to PayPal so I could finally get my payment. I recently received an email from Paypal that I have to pay $300 to her in a refund because they had technical difficulties and took extra money out of her account by accident. Should I trust the PayPal email and send the $300 so I can receive my payment or no?

Login to Me Too
1 REPLY 1

PayPal_Olivia

Hi @brodencoulter1,

I'm sorry to hear about what sounds to be fraud! Please do not send any money.

The email that you received is a spoof email, which is sent by a fraudster pretending to be PayPal. PayPal would not ask you to pay anything in order to receive a payment. If you have any ability to contact your shipper and stop the shipment, that would be a good idea, since the payment was very likely sent fraudulently and a dispute is almost definitely imminent. You will probably want to refund the payment once you have received your item back, to prevent the possibility of a chargeback.

If the address to which you shipped was not the address in the transaction details, Seller Protection will not apply. If it was the address in the transaction details and you shipped with tracking that confirms delivery, Seller Protection will prevent loss in the event of a dispute or chargeback.

I hope this helps!

Olivia

If this post or any other was helpful, please enrich the Community by giving kudos to its author, accepting it as a solution, and/or coming back to assist others. Members make this Community great!
Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.