PayPal "buyer protection"? you mean "Scammers sellers protection."

buddhabob
New Community Member

I used PayPal to pay TEK Media to repair my camera lens.  TEK Media assured me they could fix it so I sent the lens to them.  I was charged $904 which to me is a LOT.  TEK Media didn't fix my lens, but did more damage to it.  I researched TEK Media and found out that is how they make their money.  They promise they can fix anything, and have a nice website, but they don't have the skill to fix much of anything.  Go to YELP! and read the reviews.  There are hundreds of people they have ripped off in this way. 

The reason I paid through PayPal is that I was under the assumption (since the inception of PayPal) that they would come to my defense if someone tried to scam me like this.  Well, I opened a dispute, telling them to go read the reviews, and within a few days the reveiw process was "closed" and found in the favor of TEK Media.  So much for being a 15 year PayPal customer (buyer and seller) in good standing.

Once the dispute process is closed, it can't be reopened.  It's a done deal, that was it.

I will have to sent my lens to another shop to have it further repaired, after I save up the money.  PayPal really let me down to the tune of $904.  I would advise everybody reading this to purchase only small items through paypal, but when it comes to the big stuff, use your credit card to pay.  Just the normal credit card provides WAY more protection than paypal.  They are quick to side with the seller because the seller is paying the paypal fees. 

Login to Me Too
0 REPLIES 0

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.