PayPal locks my account because I file a dispute with CC

Jserp
Contributor
Contributor
I recently filed a dispute with my credit card due to the seller of a vehicle being fraudulent. In fact, since I opened the dispute, it seems through research this seller not only manipulates eBay feedback but also has a history of fraud. Why I went through my CC directly instead of PayPal? Because PayPal basically follows whatever ebay says and ebay is one of the worst customer service companies on the planet with PayPal a close second. In any case, PayPal is proving my sentiments by locking my account as, I assume, some sort of punishment. I had my vehicle pre-purchase inspected and not only was it unsafe to drive, but it had a fraudulent PA inspection sticker (it had bald rear tires and multiple other safety failures) it also didn't have a working AC system, which was clearly stated as working in the listing. I walked away. The seller agreed that if we left each other positive feedback he would refund the he deposit. Yes, this is against ebay rules, but the only way to inform eBay of this is to sit on hold waiting for a phone call. It's archaic. I am confident if ebay contacted the other buyers they would find similar games. So, I filed a legitimate dispute, for a fraudulent listing and PayPal locks my account. PayPal has a similar archaic phone only. Meanwhile, all the CC companies have real customer service that doesn't require dedicating an entire lunch hour.
Login to Me Too
7 REPLIES 7

DPCreations
Frequent Advisor
Frequent Advisor

Next time, use a credit card and not PayPal.

PayPal does not offer buyer protection for vehicles.

Using PayPal for a vehicle purchase a high risk purchase and then you didn't use PayPal for the dispute.  You have been too much of a risk for PayPal to continue service.

Login to Me Too

Jserp
Contributor
Contributor
Yes, that is why I used a CC and not a bank account. I knew PayPal wouldn't do anything. The fact is, the sale was fraud, the pre-purchase inspection was at a completely random independent place 4 hours from my home in a city I haven't visited in 20 years, they didn't care one way or another if I bought it. The seller wanted to meet outside a check cashing store. No joke. The mechanic told me to walk away from the purchase. However, the failing is eBay for allowing the feedback to be gamed. I bid on the item because the seller had 100% feedback (which is odd, cars are never that easy) but that was the impetus behind the bid. Anyway, regardless of what happens, I am not using ebay for cars again. It's too shady and the feedback isn't real. It's a total sham. PayPal and eBay both need to improve customer service. PayPal needs more accessible service, better buyer protection. And eBay needs to make it easier to report shady feedback extortion or feedback deals.
Login to Me Too

DPCreations
Frequent Advisor
Frequent Advisor

But you used your credit card through your PayPal account.  You should have been logged out of your PayPal account and used a non-PayPal-linked credit card to make your purchase so there would be no acciation with your PayPal account.

Login to Me Too

Whac-A-Mole
Frequent Advisor
Frequent Advisor

@DPCreations wrote:

But you used your credit card through your PayPal account.  You should have been logged out of your PayPal account and used a non-PayPal-linked credit card to make your purchase so there would be no acciation with your PayPal account.

but how can the seller get his payment if he does not use Paypal?

is he talking about a deposit,if this is Ebay motors,seller often ask for a non refundable deposit via Paypal and the rest is non Paypal payment.

I dont know why Paypal locked  up his account just because he filed chargeback,how much is involved?

Login to Me Too

DPCreations
Frequent Advisor
Frequent Advisor

@Whac-A-Mole

A buyer can make a payment to a seller PayPal account just with a credit card.

Login to Me Too

Jserp
Contributor
Contributor
I wasn't aware I could log out and make a payment. If anything paying through my PayPal SHOULD give me extra protection, but apparently what I wrote above about PayPal customer service is accurate. The situation is this. A non refundable deposit is absolutely fine, provided the seller isn't deceptive in the listing. Once the seller is deceptive the deposit is null. Otherwise, it's fraud. For instance I could list a car, it could not have a working AC system but I list it as having one. The buyer arrives, figures out the AC doesn't work, the listing was fraudulent, the deposit should be refunded. That's just common sense.
Login to Me Too

DPCreations
Frequent Advisor
Frequent Advisor

Did you get a refund through your CC?

Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.