PayPal keeps siding with seller

kruhl
Contributor
Contributor

I purchased a Toshiba laptop on Ebay and the description is below from the seller:

The Screen looks great as it is not broken.  It has few small scratches here and there. Has a small dent on top case but doesnt affect while using it. It is working as it turns on, other than that we did not run any moe test.

When i received it it does not turn on but only flashes the power light on and back off. The screen remains black.

I put a complaint into Ebay and they tell me that I ended it which I didn't. Not sure how this happened. Did the Seller have some way of doing it. Ebay won't help and told me to try and get my money back through PayPal.

PayPal sided with the seller so now I'm stuck with a broken laptop.

I appealed it and they sided with the seller again. What gives. The laptop was sold as turning on and yet it doesn't and PayPal won't help me.

I tried to send a video showing what it is doing, same with 2 different power supplies that work, but it is too big I guess and it won't upload.

Login to Me Too
9 REPLIES 9

kernowlass
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@kruhl

You must have closed the dispute, if you did that then you can't re-open one again.

Did you escalate it before the 20 days were up?

Advice is voluntary.
Kudos / Solution appreciated.
Login to Me Too

kruhl
Contributor
Contributor

I put a claim in and then the following day it was closed. Ebay tells me that I did it. I asked why would I close so soon and with no results. They tell that I cannot reopen it now. The case is closed.

Login to Me Too

kernowlass
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@kruhl

Did you FUND that paypal payment via a card at all?

Advice is voluntary.
Login to Me Too

kruhl
Contributor
Contributor

through Paypal account setup at the bank.

I have appealed PayPal decision twice now. Now I am told that I need to take the computer to a store to get it checked out.

The fact of the matter is. I purchased a laptop on Ebay as is but shown with the windows screen on plus a photo of the red Toshiba letters when it boots through the bios screen.

What I received was a laptop that only flashes the power light with 2 different toshiba adapters.

My friend opened it up and discovered that the DDR3L ram was replaced with non compatible DDR3 ram. When we placed a DDR3L stick in it would turn on. I would be happy if the seller would just return the ram to me that he took out and I could send him this non compatible ram back but he won't reply to me now. PayPal won't help me at all and keeps siding with the seller.

Login to Me Too

kernowlass
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@kruhl

Well you have the option of a small claims court action if its worth it and you have that in your country.

But personally i ALWAYS fund my paypal payments with a credit card and then if a dispute fails I can issue a chargeback via my credit card company.

Advice is voluntary.
Login to Me Too

kruhl
Contributor
Contributor

Yes. I can certainly see your point.

I'd really like to know what the seller is telling them cause they side with him everytime. I mean it's pretty straight forward. I purchase a laptop that is shown running and I receive one that doesn't and yet it's ok?

Login to Me Too

kernowlass
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@kruhl

I doubt they sided with the seller, somehow or other your dispute got closed but if it had remained open and escalated to a claim then you would nearly always win.

Advice is voluntary.
Login to Me Too

kruhl
Contributor
Contributor

They just closed it on me again.

After careful consideration, we're unable to decide this claim in your favor at this time.

The listing accurately described the item you received.

I never had time to respond with any more photos?

Login to Me Too

Asparin
Contributor
Contributor
In my case, they favored the seller as well. Can't win all of them, especially when both the seller and third-party payment service parties are brainded.
Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.