PayPal favors scam seller, horrible buyer protection

raraya
Contributor
Contributor

A few weeks ago I bought a Nest Thermostat E on a third party site for $109 and the site only accepted Paypal so I went ahead and felt "protected". A few days later I got a package from BestBuy and the name on the package was something completely different to mine and the address had some weird characters as well, but on the inside there was actually a Nest Thermostat so I was happy. But this felt really strange so I called BestBuy to make sure I was not involved in anything illegal, and it turns out BestBuy told me to return the package as soon as possible so I went to my nearest BestBuy store and returned it. The money that went back to the "purchaser" (Who know who this is) card was $183... so this reassured me that there was some kind of scam going on here. I said ok, I'm safe because I used PayPal as my payment method so I can just tell them about this and get my money back... I have been dealing with this case for weeks, and has been closed twice already saying that I don't have enough supporting documentation and need to contact the seller myself (who has the email disconnected). At some point even after telling them that I had to return the device to BestBuy, they told me I need to send it to the seller's address in Vietnam. This is insane and I really don't understand how PayPal has this policy.. I wish I new there was no such buyer protection in reality.

Has anyone have had a similar issue and if it has been resolved in a favorable way?

Login to Me Too
1 REPLY 1

kernowlass
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@raraya

In the event of an item received but not as described dispute then you normally have to return the item back to the seller before you get a refund.

If the item was fake etc then if you got written proof from the company that makes the item or shop that sells them or trading standards and provided that to paypal then you would not have to return it.

Advice is voluntary.
Kudos / Solution appreciated.
Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.