PayPal dispute closed in favor of seller, I (buyer) disagree, what can I do?

florini
Contributor
Contributor

Hi,

I live in Bucharest, Romania. A while ago I ordered a Bretagne-specific pastry (kouign-amann) from France.

The seller's website lists delivery times for metropolitan France (2 days) but not for other destinations. I figured it was going to make a few days longer, maybe a week at most, and I placed my order online.

For some reason, the seller did not ship my order immediately, I had to contact them by email. After they did ship it, and after not receiving it for more than 2 weeks, I contacted them again. When it became clear that the order was in transit, I asked them to file on my behalf a complaint with the carrier - those pastries were getting less and less fresh every day.

They refused to do it and stopped answering my emails.

The order arrived eventually, after 1 month en route. obviously the "fresh" pastries were no longer fresh and had to be discarded.

I asked the seller to refund that part of the order. As per their procedure they did not reply - so I filed a PayPal dispute and escalated it to a claim (after the seller did not respond even to that).

PayPal did not ask me anything and decided in their favor, because "your seller had sufficiently described the merchandise". Wait, what? I never claimed they didn't - just that I received stale pastries and bad service.

I tried to "discuss" this with the support folks, but all I'm getting are non-responses with various degrees of randomness and falsitude - they just want me to shut up and go the heck away.

The amount I'm claiming is small, 43 euros or so, but I think the seller was really unprofessional and I don't want to just "forgive" them. They never even acknowledged that something was wrong, let alone apologize.

Is there anything I can do to escalate this and get a reasoneble decision from PayPal?

Thanks,

Florin

Login to Me Too
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Solved

florini
Contributor
Contributor

I have an update. After PayPal closed my claim in seller's favor, I wrote several messages to support, arguing my case. They eventually decided to reverse their initial call and granted me the partial refund I was asking for.

Kudos PayPal!

View solution in original post

Login to Me Too
5 REPLIES 5

kernowlass
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

If the dispute is closed then you can't do much about it..........but go to the resolution centre and see if there is an appeal option you can use.

If not and you funded your paypal payment with a card then contact your card issuer and see if they can help you with a chargeback.

Advice is voluntary.
Kudos / Solution appreciated.
Login to Me Too
Solved

florini
Contributor
Contributor

I have an update. After PayPal closed my claim in seller's favor, I wrote several messages to support, arguing my case. They eventually decided to reverse their initial call and granted me the partial refund I was asking for.

Kudos PayPal!

Login to Me Too

heathersiebenal
New Community Member

What email did you use for them. They closed a case on my unresolved and now I need them to reopen.

Login to Me Too

florini
Contributor
Contributor

I started from the on-line form at https://www.paypal.com/selfhelp/contact/email/t_s and then continued via email (that's how the form worked when I used it).

Login to Me Too

Aligem
New Community Member

Hi

I tought Paypal is more helpful than what happen to you.

I am thinking how get my money back if paypal deny to help if I pay for expensive items to seller out of my country who I never seen before???

Sorry for you or for Paypal???

Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.