PayPal case opened against me - PLEASE HELP!!!

leoniexternest
New Community Member

Recently sold a pair of jeans through an app called depop and all was good and the lady received them ok. However, before even messaging me first at all, she opened a PayPal case against me for 'item not as described' and wrote as her comment "jeans aren't as skinny as I wanted".

Please tell me that isn't a valid reason? 

She has requested a partial refund (basically full as it is the price without postage) and to be able to keep the item! So essentially she just gets a free pair of jeans and I lose the money....

On the listing of the item there were pictures of the jeans on a model, therefore showing the exact fit so I do not see how she can claim them to be 'not as described' but there is no option to upload a picture when disputing the claim.

I know PayPal always side with the buyer but is there any way to get out of this

Thanks

Login to Me Too
3 REPLIES 3

kernowlass
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@leoniexternest

In the event of an item received but not as described dispute its nearly always one persons word against anothers.

So yes paypal do tend to side on the buyer BUT the buyer normally has to return the item back to you at her own expense before you have to refund her.

So personally I would refuse the part refund and then >>

1. Paypal may find in your favour.

2. Buyer may decide she does not want to return the item at her own expense TRACKABLE to prove delivery back to you first.

3. You have them back, she gets back her money minus return postage and you relist the item and sell it again.

Advice is voluntary.
Kudos / Solution appreciated.
Login to Me Too

DPCreations
Frequent Advisor
Frequent Advisor

I take a business perspective on this.

First, selling used clothing is high risk, so some costly disputes should be anticipated an build into your business profit model.

Second, whether the buyer claim is a valid reason or not is not up to Paypal to decide.  There will be information to review.  Did your listing show actual measurements of the jeans.  Since a buyer can't try on the product, very specific measurements could help your case.  If you didn't disclose specifics then the buyer has a better chance.  It depends on whether you or the buyer presents a more believable case to PayPal.

Now, suppose PayPal rules in favor of seller and buyer returns item with tracking but the product seems to be no longer sellable. Sure, you could appeal, but what if you loose the appeal?  How will this impact your profit.

From a business perspectiive I would look at the potential cost to the business for each scenario.  I've even phoned customers to work out an amicable deal in order to avoid the potential loss of a dispute.  A quick resolution can often be the best option and the least cost and lowest risk for the business.

Login to Me Too

Whac-A-Mole
Frequent Advisor
Frequent Advisor

@leoniexternest wrote:

Recently sold a pair of jeans through an app called depop and all was good and the lady received them ok. However, before even messaging me first at all, she opened a PayPal case against me for 'item not as described' and wrote as her comment "jeans aren't as skinny as I wanted".

Please tell me that isn't a valid reason? 

She has requested a partial refund (basically full as it is the price without postage) and to be able to keep the item! So essentially she just gets a free pair of jeans and I lose the money....

On the listing of the item there were pictures of the jeans on a model, therefore showing the exact fit so I do not see how she can claim them to be 'not as described' but there is no option to upload a picture when disputing the claim.

I know PayPal always side with the buyer but is there any way to get out of this

Thanks

NO WAY T O GET OUT OF THIS,JUST ASK HER T O RETURN THE ITEM AND REFUND HER,UNLESS YOU AGREE TO PARTIAL REFUND. 

Uploading picture is a waste of time,what you list and what you ship can be different.

BESIDES Paypal robot does not watch movies or read book

Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.