PayPal Abroad - Alternatives?

razzzzz

I am a US citizen currently living in China. I've had nothing but a bad experience using PayPal since my move. I'd like to share my experience, and ask others if they've had similar experiences.

Paypals first advice was to open a new account in the new country. Unfortunately, this requires that I have a local Chinese credit card, which is a pain to obtain. I have a local bank account and a debit cart, but PayPal doesn't recognize local debit cards. I believe they also require local identification (I cannot use my US passport, if I am not mistaken), but I'm not Chinese.

As for using my current US account abroad, that's a huge pain. First, even after notifying the PayPal staff that I am living abroad, they assume that any activity coming from China is suspicous, so my account is blocked often. Second, unblocking my account from abroad is another huge pain. Options to verify my identity are: recieve a text (I cannot input an international number into my account to verify my identity, and I no longer have a US phone number, so that doesn't work), recieve a phone call (same issue as recieving a text), or emailing a photocopy of my passport (which I've done twice now with no response from PayPal).

Everytime I want to unblock my account, I need to call a customer service representitive and waste both their time and mine to manually step through the proccess. This usally take several days. Most of this time is spent answering the same questions over and over again: Have you tried setting up a new account? Yes, but I need a local card? Have you tried blah blah blah.... yes but, blah blah blah.

I'm not sure why PayPal has chosen not to embrace customers who live abroad. I say "chosen" because clearly it is a choice on their part, not some sort of technical issue. Why not simply let customers enter an international number and have a few additional security gates if need be? Why not even call the customer on their international number to verify their identity? Technology is growing crazy fast, and I find it hard to belive this is a problem that PayPal "cannot" solve. It's obviously a choice... the question is why?

Anyway, I'm wondering if anybody has any similar experiences to share, and if there are any alternative to PayPal that you recommend? I'm ready to jump ship... this has already taken enough of my time.

Login to Me Too
5 REPLIES 5

lancelotme
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

I think if you are using your US account in China,you should go to your Paypal account and somewhere in your profile,add China as a place you would be accessing Paypal.

Folks who travel to foreign countries usually do that before they leave .

I think it is in section called security risk where you add the countries,search this forum,and learn more or go to paypal website and ask a question.

also it pays to find out if there is any fee involved for converting US dollars into local currency.   

Login to Me Too

lancelotme
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

If you open a new Paypal account in China,being an American expatriate,you have to link a US bank to your PAYPAL account in order to transfer fund,not a local bank.

Paypal cannot be everything to everyone,if it does not serve your needs well,you should seek local alternatives,or ask the American consulate if they can offer you some advice.  

Login to Me Too

sharpiemarker
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

How about a Visa or MasterCard Prepaid card?  

I'm looking at PayPal offerings and they look like take cards with these logos. Weird that they just so happens not to accept your bank card. Have you tried adding your bank card to new account and it was rejected or PayPal told you it would not work? Is the bank card networked with UnionPay?  

I can't see why you can not open a PayPal China account with a local bank that should include a Union Pay logo on it's debit card. That's the major Chinese card network similar to Visa/MasterCard.  And UnionPay's logo is on here clear as day.  As long as your info used to open PP account matches your bank and card info, I say.  Should be noted that most people in China don't use PayPal, they use Alipay.com

image.png

Here are some links:

http://www.beijingexpatguide.com/money-and-banking-for-expats-in-china/

http://www.thelongestwayhome.com/blog/how-to-live-overseas/how-to-deal-with-paypal-when-you-travel/

If folks would only care about their PayPal accounts enough to do a little research before they get ready to do something, whatever that might be.  Google is like this huge brain, you can ask it anything pretty much and get an answer.  I read plenty of stories where people are doing whatever to their PP account, oblivious that there are limitations, rules and they come crying or blaming PayPal.  They don't read User Agreements, either.

That said, good luck, I hope you can get it sorted.

Kudos & Solved are greatly appreciated. 🙂
Login to Me Too

lancelotme
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Alipay is better than Paypal in China.

But then we dont know what he plans to do with Paypal while in China?

BTW,Chinese sellers on ALIEXPRESS accept Paypal payments !as many of their buyers are from USA.

If he is in some major city in CHINA,find a watering hole frequented by so called Gwei Lo,ghost fellows aka white folks,and ask them what do they do to get a credit card issued by local bank. 

Login to Me Too

BENJIRY
New Community Member

Yes, now I have the same problem with ID confirmation. Moreover, I have sent my Passport scan along with my local Diplomatic ID and they say it is not enough for them. 
The country where I am now is even not in the list of PayPal Service, but I am using Internet payments, so what is the problem if I confirm everything?
I am really disappointed...

Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.