Ordered a item and was sent the wrong item after payment

Philinwood
Contributor
Contributor

I registered a complaint in the Resolutions Department and they responded back and told me to ship it back at my own expense !  I didn't make any error- the seller did. I think seller should pay return shipping because they **bleep** up.  And to make it worse- 1) Seller would not respond when I contacted them by email to see about straightening things out

2) Seller "tricked" me- I originally founf them through Ebay and when I inquired about buying their product with a small modification, they sent me an invoice thru Paypal that WAS NOT cxhanneled through Ebay (I wasn't aware of this) so they violated Ebay terms

3) I called their phone number from the Invoice- bogus phone number- some kids phone number.  

Login to Me Too
24 REPLIES 24

Whac-A-Mole
Frequent Advisor
Frequent Advisor

Is the seller overseas?

then you have to pay return shipping with tracking.

since it is not Ebay transaction,Ebay cannot send you a domestic return shipping label and charge to his Ebay account.

if it is Ebay overseas,Ebay cannot send a return shipping label as it has no access to his country post office/

so this is in a nutshell,buying on ebay vs off ebay and buying from domestic ebay sellers vs overseas ebay sellers.

Paypal is different,buyer pays return shipping.

Login to Me Too

Philinwood
Contributor
Contributor

It was not overseas.  The seller's website said that the seller would pay return shipping if the fault was that of the seller.  It was. It was supposed to be an Ebay order. I contacted them through an Ebay listing because I wanted to order the item listed with a slight variation.  They sent me a custom invoice through paypal.  I had told them I wanted to do the transaction through Ebay.  I paid through Paypal- thinking it was Ebay. Now that I am returning it ( because they sent me the wrong item) Paypal tells me I have to pay return shipping.  

Login to Me Too

DPCreations
Frequent Advisor
Frequent Advisor

If you wanted to do the purchase through eBay why didn't you buy from eBay.

By agreeing to go off eBay and pay with a PayPal invoice, you lost all eBay protection. 

Furthermore, all that matters to PayPal is the invoice and the details on the invoice.

PayPal policies apply.  Buyer pays return shipping in case of a not as described case.

Even if you pay return shipping WITH tracking there will be more risks.

Login to Me Too

Philinwood
Contributor
Contributor

Can you tell me what you mean by "even if....there will be risks?"  It's important, so I thank you.   As far as Ebay etc, I was stupid and got duped.  You see, I initialy contacted them in a message through Ebay. When they invoiced me through PayPal I was unsuspecting and didn't realize that it was outside of Ebay.  I have never before used PayPal for anything other than Ebay.  Amazon doesn't accept it and that's the two places I shop usually or use a CC. 

The seller said that buyer pays for any return shipping unless the fault is the sellers fault so I just figured it was rational that since it was seller's fault they pay for the shipping back. The fault is pretty much incontrovertible since the invoice doesn't match the shipped item.  But, this is a dishonest seller. 

Regarless, I always assumed Paypal protected buyers.  Now that Is see that they don't I can adjust accordingly. 

Login to Me Too

Whac-A-Mole
Frequent Advisor
Frequent Advisor

If you have found this seller on EBay and email him via Ebay,how did he get your PAYPAL email address to sednd you an invoice?

You would have to give it to him,unless you have done business with him before and he kept your PAYPAL email address.

So you gave him your Paypal email address and he sent you a Paypal invoice,you paid and he skipped Ebay fee,so Ebay is not involved.

If you want seller to pay for return shipping,you can ask him to send you a return label OR you can pay for return and ask him to reimburse you ,.

Login to Me Too

Philinwood
Contributor
Contributor

Ok, I went back and checked.  I had asked for dimensions and we corresponded a few times- all on Ebay.  There is a record on ebay about it. Then, they told me to copy and paste the custom specs I wanted and referrred me to their website to send to. This is where I was naiive.  I did as they told and said that I had received a message/warning from Ebay saying all transactions had to be completed on Ebay, and I quoted that to them, expressing that we had to do this transaction within Ebay.  Then they sent me an invoice through Paypal.  A lot of days had transpired (maybe 10) as we corresponded on Ebay- they said the had been vacation and apologized for the delay.   I was anxious to get the part-I really didn't put 2 and 2 together to realize they had lured me away from Ebay- as I said- I have never used Paypal for ANYTHING other than Ebay so when they emailed me the Paypal invoice I just assumed it was through Ebay and I paid it thorough Paypal.  The shipping won't be that much- my largest concern is that this company seems shady and if I return the product, I am fearful if they say they didn't receive it or it was damaged(I haven't used it at all) because I don't have ANY confidence that Paypal will protect me.   I used to- but no more.   

Login to Me Too

DPCreations
Frequent Advisor
Frequent Advisor

You need to make sure you ship with tracking to delivered.  First Class will not suffice for international as it does not track to delivery.

There is a risk of damage during transit and that's where the outcome is less certain.

As long as it is returned through dispute process, PayPal normally refunds after tracking shows delivered.  Unfortutunately, PayPal does not supervise your packaging nor does it supervise the other party's unpacking.  The seller can dispute that you returned a broken item.  Then PayPal could place the refund back on hold while it investigates.  I think this can take weeks.

There are many very astute sellers who take advantage of new buyers.  There are also very astute buyers who take advantage of new sellers.   Education about the process is your friend.  Gain the advantage over the other party with your education--for future transactions.

Login to Me Too

Philinwood
Contributor
Contributor

I will NEVER use PayPal again outside of Ebay.  I've learned. I didn't realize I was doing so, but for me there is no reason to rely on Paypal when their protection is bogus. 

Login to Me Too

DPCreations
Frequent Advisor
Frequent Advisor

PayPal protection is not bogus.  It is exactly what is stated in the PayPal policies for buyer protection.  There is also seller protection, but it is by the policies.

PayPal cannot protect a buyer or seller from using bad judgment.

Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.