Opened a dispute and returned item, afraid of the seller not getting it due to christmas holidays

guilhermeg
Contributor
Contributor

Hi,

I emailed the seller 2 weeks ago asking for a refund, as I was not happy with the product but he didn't answer me so I opened a dispute yesterday, he replied really quick (like an hour later), offering me a similar product in exchange for the item I bought plus the price difference which it costs more.

I refused so he said I could return the item that he will refund me but now the bad part, he also said to close the dispute since he wrote that he will refund as soon as he gets the item back, i found this strange and searched on google where i found that you should never close a dispute before getting a refund, it's a very dirty move from the seller to get the items back and keep the money.

I must say I was shocked and still shocked and feel scammed because of this move from the owner itself of a well known business in UK (with more than 170k likes on facebook if that even matters)  i still can't believe he is tarnishing his business reputation.

Now my fear is the dispute ends on 9th january so I went to the post today to send the item back but after that i realized that the business maybe closed next week and i'm afraid of the item not getting delivered and be returned or destroyed as it happened with another thing I bought from the internet.

The item was sent with tracking number and acknowledgment of receipt so I feel more safe.

What can I do in this situation ? Should I escalate to a claim if the item is not delivered or there's a problem with the seller of some sort ?

Login to Me Too
20 REPLIES 20

DPCreations
Frequent Advisor
Frequent Advisor

@guilhermeg

You should attempt to resolve with the seller first; you didn't trust the seller, but you continued with the seller and sent the item back.  You need t understand that PayPal needs to be in charge when it comes to returns.  it's just the the system works.  You have a lot to learn, even about selecting good sellers.

Login to Me Too

guilhermeg
Contributor
Contributor

@DPCreations

Yes, you are right, I understand.

But he said to return the item, that's what I did. You know when I read that the dispute ends in 20 calendar days, it's not even working days, I "panicked" because I don't want loose the money, more than 350€, also didn't want the dispute to end before the seller gets the item and I get the refund.

Also I used my bank card to make the payment not sure if I can do a chargeback.

Login to Me Too

Whac-A-Mole
Frequent Advisor
Frequent Advisor

@DPCreations wrote:

@guilhermeg

You took it upon yourself to return the the item WTHOUT getting PayPal involved; that's the problem.

If you want to get PayPal invoolved int he return you file a dispute and wait for PayPal instructions. You return only when PayPal instructs you to return and then you provide the tracking number.

You now filed a dispute AFTER you started your own refund.  You now cannot work with PayPal for the return since you did that on your own.

There are people here with a lot of experience who offer a lot of help because they know how it works.  If you don't won't help from experienced users, then just do your own thing.

no,she can still get Paypal involved,if the seller does not refund her.

she open the case,and seller cannot close the case,so she is in a position to escalate to get Paypal involved if seller has the item and not refund,she has tracking,so once Paypal said return the item,all she has t do is upload her tracking since she has already returned the item.

and that fails,there is also credit card chargeback if she pays with credit card ,just dont lose that tracking number.

Login to Me Too

kernowlass
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@sumiko wrote:

@DPCreations wrote:

@guilhermeg

You took it upon yourself to return the the item WTHOUT getting PayPal involved; that's the problem.

If you want to get PayPal invoolved int he return you file a dispute and wait for PayPal instructions. You return only when PayPal instructs you to return and then you provide the tracking number.

You now filed a dispute AFTER you started your own refund.  You now cannot work with PayPal for the return since you did that on your own.

There are people here with a lot of experience who offer a lot of help because they know how it works.  If you don't won't help from experienced users, then just do your own thing.

no,she can still get Paypal involved,if the seller does not refund her.

she open the case,and seller cannot close the case,so she is in a position to escalate to get Paypal involved if seller has the item and not refund,she has tracking,so once Paypal said return the item,all she has t do is upload her tracking since she has already returned the item.

and that fails,there is also credit card chargeback if she pays with credit card ,just dont lose that tracking number.

Except paypal may NOT find in her favour.

Advice is voluntary.
Kudos / Solution appreciated.
Login to Me Too

Whac-A-Mole
Frequent Advisor
Frequent Advisor

@kernowlass-

--------------------------------------------------------

if so,then she would file chargeback with her cc issuer if she paid with cc,she will win and the seller will be whacked with a $20 chargeback fee.  

Login to Me Too

kernowlass
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@Whac-A-Mole

@sumiko wrote:

@kernowlass-

--------------------------------------------------------

if so,then she would file chargeback with her cc issuer if she paid with cc,she will win and the seller will be whacked with a $20 chargeback fee.  

Except again the OP stated this   >>>

Also I used my bank card to make the payment not sure if I can do a chargeback.

Advice is voluntary.
Kudos / Solution appreciated.
Login to Me Too

Whac-A-Mole
Frequent Advisor
Frequent Advisor

when you open a case ,YOU and the seller will converse and figure what to do,if he said return the item then you return it  with tracking,at this point,there is no place to upload tracking but hold on to it.

he should refund and close the case when the item came back to him,

if he does not,then escalate to get Paypal review,Paypal will tell you to return the item ,then the option to upload tracking will appear.

just enter the tracking and PAYPAL will check to see it is delivered,refund you and close the case.

if this is an Ebay item,always open the case with Ebay first,as Ebay wil send you a return label ,once the label tracking shows it has been delivered,it will refund you and close the case.

the cost of the return lable will be billed to seller account,

------------------------

we come across many cases like yours,sometimes we will miss a few points here and there,we are volunteers not paid staff. 

Login to Me Too

guilhermeg
Contributor
Contributor

@Whac-A-Mole

Thank you for your explanation.

My fear is if the item is not delivered because the business may be closed due to holidays and it passes those days that you can retrieve the item from the post office and comes back to me or get's destroyed, I say destroyed because I had one item from gearbest that I received a note to get it from the post but they sent it back by mistake and now I think it's lost or destroyed because it shows the same status since 28/11 and gearbest told me that the policy of the courier is that it gets destroyed.

No it's not an ebay item. I bought from their website.

About the postage refund, I saw a page referring that paypal refunds postage costs if you return items so I filled out the form, and got a confirmation that they will investigate and if it meets their terms they will refund, but I'm not sure if it's billed to seller account. 

Login to Me Too

Whac-A-Mole
Frequent Advisor
Frequent Advisor

Paypal will not bill the seller for return postage,it sounds like Paypal is footing the return postage.

Login to Me Too

Whac-A-Mole
Frequent Advisor
Frequent Advisor

did you upload tracking showing it has been shipped?

if you get Paypal invlved,PAYPAL will ask you to return with tracking,once tracking shows delivered,it will close and you get the money back.

the key is tracking

Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.