Opened a dispute and returned item, afraid of the seller not getting it due to christmas holidays

guilhermeg
Contributor
Contributor

Hi,

I emailed the seller 2 weeks ago asking for a refund, as I was not happy with the product but he didn't answer me so I opened a dispute yesterday, he replied really quick (like an hour later), offering me a similar product in exchange for the item I bought plus the price difference which it costs more.

I refused so he said I could return the item that he will refund me but now the bad part, he also said to close the dispute since he wrote that he will refund as soon as he gets the item back, i found this strange and searched on google where i found that you should never close a dispute before getting a refund, it's a very dirty move from the seller to get the items back and keep the money.

I must say I was shocked and still shocked and feel scammed because of this move from the owner itself of a well known business in UK (with more than 170k likes on facebook if that even matters)  i still can't believe he is tarnishing his business reputation.

Now my fear is the dispute ends on 9th january so I went to the post today to send the item back but after that i realized that the business maybe closed next week and i'm afraid of the item not getting delivered and be returned or destroyed as it happened with another thing I bought from the internet.

The item was sent with tracking number and acknowledgment of receipt so I feel more safe.

What can I do in this situation ? Should I escalate to a claim if the item is not delivered or there's a problem with the seller of some sort ?

Login to Me Too
20 REPLIES 20

kernowlass
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@guilhermeg

Have you escalated the dispute to a claim?

And once you have done so did paypal find in your favour and tell you to send the item back??

Advice is voluntary.
Kudos / Solution appreciated.
Login to Me Too

guilhermeg
Contributor
Contributor

@kernowlassI'm sorry but have you even read what i wrote ? I opened a dispute yesterday, seller told me to send back the item, I sent it today. Paypal is still not involved.

@Whac-A-MoleNo I didn't, how can i upload tracking info ? Can't find the button.

Paypal didn't ask me, seller said to return that's what I did.

I don't want to sound mean but I feel like you didn't even read what I wrote.

Login to Me Too

kernowlass
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@guilhermeg

Yes I read it BUT a lot of folks call a dispute a claim and don't know the difference.

That is why I said was paypal involved.

When folks give up their time to try and help you then being rude is certainly not going to help you get help in the future.

Will go back to my film.......bye.

Advice is voluntary.
Login to Me Too

guilhermeg
Contributor
Contributor

@kernowlass

Hence why I asked "Should I escalate to a claim if the item is not delivered or there's a problem with the seller of some sort ?"

That's when I thought "this guy did not even read everything."

Now you say I'm rude, the least thing I want now is offend who I'm asking for help.

If you think I was rude, please grow up....

Login to Me Too

kernowlass
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@guilhermeg

Yet everyone that has given up their OWN TIME to try and help you has been accused of not reading your post properly.

So what? If you have to restate and confirm facts then why not just do so............ ie be a grown up and appreciate folks have responded to try and help.

If you have sent the item back without paypal saying so then............................oh well guess I won't be adult enough to bother with the rest and will go back to other interests.

Advice is voluntary.
Login to Me Too

guilhermeg
Contributor
Contributor

@kernowlass

It was just a question jesus. Why are you being so mad ?

I didn't want to offend, ok ?

Login to Me Too

kernowlass
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@guilhermeg

whatever.

Advice is voluntary.
Login to Me Too

DPCreations
Frequent Advisor
Frequent Advisor

@guilhermeg

You took it upon yourself to return the the item WTHOUT getting PayPal involved; that's the problem.

If you want to get PayPal invoolved int he return you file a dispute and wait for PayPal instructions. You return only when PayPal instructs you to return and then you provide the tracking number.

You now filed a dispute AFTER you started your own refund.  You now cannot work with PayPal for the return since you did that on your own.

There are people here with a lot of experience who offer a lot of help because they know how it works.  If you don't won't help from experienced users, then just do your own thing.

Login to Me Too

guilhermeg
Contributor
Contributor

@DPCreations

I thought it was the correct way, open a dispute and if the seller didn't want to cooperate then I would escalate to a claim so paypal get's involved. Since the seller said to return the item but that shady phrase to close the dispute.

You say wait for paypal to give instructions but I opened a dispute and paypal was not involved until it is a claim. That's what I read.

Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.