Need advice, Digital river unauthorized pay, how to tighten security?

asukatenjou
New Community Member

I noticed today something odd in my account, I was charged about 10 euros from a company known as Digital river, I never dealt with them before and after a bit or research I found out they deal with digital transactions and services. I have checked all my accounts embedded to paypal and have not found anything related to them - just in case I did so - and really have no clue to how they managed to charge me.

I was wondering other than setting down a dispute, and changing all security questions and passwords, what else should I do? Should I consider my credit card in danger and cancel it? I heard sometimes some frauds charge small amounts before wiping your account clean to see if they get away with it.

Also has anyone else been scammed by these people? What did you do?

Login to Me Too
227 REPLIES 227

snowshoe
Frequent Advisor
Frequent Advisor

Digital River is an ecommerce transaction processing service, similar to PayPal. 

Here's their site:

http://www.digitalriver.com/

They may have charged you because someone else has your credit card info and email address and/or other personal info.

You may want to start by contacting your credit card issuer in order to get the charge removed.  Then get a new card.  Changing your PayPal Account Password and Security Questions and emial address should also be considered. 

And also contactin Digital River with your concers would not be a bad idea.

Login to Me Too

asukatenjou
New Community Member

I did but the bank said they can't do nothing about it, and it was in paypal's hands and digital river's I submitted a dispute because I am scared they would take more info from me, I mean I am not sure if it was them or a third party. But in any case once bitten twice shy.... do you know how they charged me through paypal however? Because that is how I noticed the transaction. I already changed everything I will get my card changed, better be safe than sorry... thanks!

Login to Me Too

snowshoe
Frequent Advisor
Frequent Advisor

Really don't have any answers but, taking action to change your info is probably the best thing you can do.

Login to Me Too

ndldiamond
Contributor
Contributor

never buy a product with the name: advanced system care with the digital river platform. because  i buy this product with the avantage platform. ( avantage.com) . 3 days after you make the purchase by avantage, I get an email from paypal on the payment of the same product authorized THROUGH digital river, how you can have my paypal data, and make a purchase without my authorization

Login to Me Too

PayPal_Andy

Hi ndldiamond -

Sorry to hear that you had unauthorized activity on your account. Given the details you've provided, it sounds like you may have had a billing agreement with the merchant that was compromised. A billing agreement is designed to make checking out with that merchant simpler in the future; you've basically given them permission to charge your PayPal account so you only have to complete the checkout process on their end without having to log into PayPal as well.

So it most likely wasn't your PayPal account that was compromised (since you did make the original transaction with them), but your account on the merchant's end that someone gained access to that caused the charges. You'll want to make sure you change any passwords on their end to resecure your account. And if you really wanted to, you can cancel the preapproved payment agreement in your PayPal account via your Profile. As we have a few different version of our Profile floating around, if you need help finding that you'd probably want to get in touch with our customer service so they can help you there. 🙂

- Andy

Login to Me Too

CravanvsCravan
Contributor
Contributor

I've got the same problem and I want my money back, I have awarded to my workmate to erase all the data from PayPal, I've never  accepted any payment from Digital River Ireland, Ltd. so I tried to cancel but I've been taken the amount from my bank account! I've tried to contact with Paypal in a quick way for this problem and there is no way. I don't know what to do. I'm very disappointed. 

Login to Me Too

sharpiemarker
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

Did you happened to buy any software in the amount charged?

Google "digital river ireland find my order" and you can research who/what charge your acct.

Kudos & Solved are greatly appreciated. 🙂
Login to Me Too

cre8focus
Contributor
Contributor

During my research using your 'find my order' on Google, I came across this contact info page for Digital River. Hopefully it is helphttps://www.findmyorder.com/store/defaults/en_AU/DisplayDRContactInformationPage/eCommerceProvider.Digital+R... to many of you.

In my case, I ordered premium software at a heavily discounted price for Avast for $19.99. The first transaction was 3 days before the unauthorised one of $59.99. I am about to email them now.

Login to Me Too

Can_Can
New Community Member

makes sense 

Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.