Need advice, Digital river unauthorized pay, how to tighten security?

asukatenjou
New Community Member

I noticed today something odd in my account, I was charged about 10 euros from a company known as Digital river, I never dealt with them before and after a bit or research I found out they deal with digital transactions and services. I have checked all my accounts embedded to paypal and have not found anything related to them - just in case I did so - and really have no clue to how they managed to charge me.

I was wondering other than setting down a dispute, and changing all security questions and passwords, what else should I do? Should I consider my credit card in danger and cancel it? I heard sometimes some frauds charge small amounts before wiping your account clean to see if they get away with it.

Also has anyone else been scammed by these people? What did you do?

Login to Me Too
227 REPLIES 227

EL_Diablo
New Community Member
Hi, I just had something very similar happen to me. I get notified on my cellphone automatically whenever I get a charge posted to my credit card account over $30. It helps me detect fraud and keep an eye on any unauthorized charges to my credit card account and helps me keep track of my spending. So sure enough, today I saw a charge from Digital River, that I did not recognize. Thinking the same as everyone else, I thought it was an unauthorized charge, and was thinking that my credit card had been compromised. Turns out this wasn't the case! Apparently, when I placed an order for a new cellphone about 3 weeks ago on Samsung.com I also added a micro SD card to expand the storage while purchasing the new phone. That micro SD card was backordered at the time so it did not ship when the cellphone shipped. Additionally, I financed the phone through my cellphone provided via the Samsung website because of the deal they were giving me at the time because of Black Friday. So I thought everything was getting financed through my provider. But I was wrong. The only thing that gets financed was the phone. All of the other accessories that I also ordered needed to be paid for up front, along with the sales tax, and a down payment for the phone that needed to be covered up front. So yes, I authorized that payment via my credit card for the down payment, my added accessories, and the sales tax. But because the SD card was backordered, they didn't charge my credit card for it until it shipped, which was today, almost 3 weeks after the original order. So when I saw the charge, and it said Digital River, and not Samsung or my cell service provider, I too thought something was wrong and I didn't recognize the charge. But the reality is, the charge was authorized, and it was indeed for something that I ordered online. So my point is, it never hurts to keep an eye out for unauthorized charges to any of your accounts, but if you see a charge from Digital River, don't automatically think it's fraud. Think back long and hard. It's quite possible it is an authorized charge that just got delayed, like mine did, or like many others have said, a subscription to a service that you signed up for that might have been free at first, but is now being billed to you by Digital River when in fact it could be from any number of e-commerce vendors or service providers that use Digital River to process the payment. I hope this long winded story helps a few of you figure out that what you thought might have been fraud was just something that you forgot that you authorized just a few days, weeks or even months before.
Login to Me Too

KarNaT
New Community Member
There is no billing agreement with this company at all
Login to Me Too

saram7

Hola

También se me ha hecho un cargo no autorizado por DIGITAL RIVER , me extraña que PAYPAL  no haya tomado cartas en el asunto desde hace tiempo que ha sido reportada. Con esto su seguridad se ve muy opacada y tendré que retirar mi cuenta  y transmitir esta mala experiencia a otros para que no confien tanto, como se promete en el sitio.

Login to Me Too

prabsa
Contributor
Contributor

Andy

This is the biggest load of garbage you have just told this poor guy out of pocket because you security has failed.   He wont see his money again and Palpal is now a money laundry for scammers and fraudsters.   The banks wont compensate him be as the fools at Paypal dished out the money.   I have had a claim knocked back by you guys and Im **bleep** of the excuses and poor service Palpal give.   I have lodged a Fraud cliam with the Australian Consumer Affairs office and will let all know of how Paypal treat there customers.   You should hang you head in shame

Login to Me Too

winnetou6
Contributor
Contributor

Any luck in getting refund from this fraud-acting company?

Login to Me Too

Katty189

The same thing happened to me in Canada. They charged me $60. I don't have any billing agreements unaccounted for. This charge is fraudulent.

Login to Me Too

prabsa
Contributor
Contributor

Same thing happened to me.   This is why I dont keep any funds in my Paypal account.   Paypal kind of turn a blind eye to this.  Come on, its been going on for so long this criminal keeps getting away with it.   Why isn't Paypal banning this criminal.  Umm its because they are making money from it as well.   So dishonest.

Keep on Paypal, dont let them get away with it.

Login to Me Too

Gunny51

This is for PC software trial use, if you don't cancel it they bill you big time within 30 days.

Login to Me Too

TonyW1967

Unfortunately, in my case, I simply have no way to check the 3rd party software provider - OSToto Co Ltd. I do recall going 3/4 of the way in considering their Driver Update Software, but stopped before completing the order, but it seems they were able to complete the order 'on my behalf'.... There is no provision on their website to check a PO Placed, and so I await a reply to their rather dubious Customer Service process.

Login to Me Too

PayPal_Lisa

Hi @TonyW1967,

I'm sorry to hear there is potential fraud and I’m glad you contacted us. Don’t worry, we offer protection for confirmed unauthorized transactions. We may take up to 10 days to review any unauthorized claim and we’ll send you an update via email. 

Lisa

Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.