Need advice, Digital river unauthorized pay, how to tighten security?

asukatenjou
New Community Member

I noticed today something odd in my account, I was charged about 10 euros from a company known as Digital river, I never dealt with them before and after a bit or research I found out they deal with digital transactions and services. I have checked all my accounts embedded to paypal and have not found anything related to them - just in case I did so - and really have no clue to how they managed to charge me.

I was wondering other than setting down a dispute, and changing all security questions and passwords, what else should I do? Should I consider my credit card in danger and cancel it? I heard sometimes some frauds charge small amounts before wiping your account clean to see if they get away with it.

Also has anyone else been scammed by these people? What did you do?

Login to Me Too
227 REPLIES 227

tgodette
New Community Member

I authorized pay for a product from Digital River. This product was supposed to restore my data and things that were mistakenly erased on my phone. I have tried to contact them via email (they don't have a phone listed) and no one has returned my messages. Is there any other way I can dispute this transaction?

Login to Me Too

sharpiemarker
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

Contact the software merchant you made payment to for a refund.  They can normally reverse the charge through their ccount with Digital River.  Otherwise, look up the transaction in PayPal and file a dispute.  If you funded the payment with credit card,  chargeback with your card issuer will be your last resort.

Kudos & Solved are greatly appreciated. 🙂
Login to Me Too

Very6annoyed6
New Community Member
I used free Avast security several years ago and then bought a AUS$39.99 subscription. The following year, I added a second and much more expensive software,$79.99, to give me 24 hour help. However, I found that I never used it and was then coerced over the phone to renew it because apparently something was wrong with my computer on the same date as the subscription renewal. I thought I had cancelled the subscription and was naively under the impression that the company would not take money for a service that they were not providing. However, I was still billed AUS $39.99 by Digital River Ireland under the order, DRI Avast Software last year on the 19/04/16. I contacted PayPal immediately, cancelled the order and changed my password. I had also cancelled my card earlier due to an illegal but unrelated transaction so was under the illusion that it would not have access to my new card details and so this would not happen again. I also contacted our state ombudsman in Australa to report it but was advised not to expect a reply as there were so much of this happening. Today I received an email from Pay Pal that said I had just had AUS$79.99 debited from my new card by Digital River Ireland LTD. I rang PayPal and apparently it is my responsibility because there were 2 subscriptions and this second one was still active. Last year I should have looked into my account and managed my payments by checking the list to make sure both were inactive. Again I assumed that last year, when I rang Pay Pal and they cancelled one of the subscriptions that that was it. **bleep** no! They cancelled one subscription, why wouldn't they cancel both at the same time?! I was given a number to contact Digital River, Ireland when I rang Pay Pal today. Surprise! It isn't connected. I am very disappointed and no longer feel as secure with Pay Pal. Thank you to all of you who have commented. Pay Pal, please address our concerns.
Login to Me Too

KarNaT
New Community Member
This morning happen the same thing to me I was charged with 89 $99 to these company without my authorization What I did I log in into my Pay Pal account I change passwords and I delete my credit card info I called the bank and I cancel my card as well. I guess my next step is to cancel this account. So bad that Paypal cannot do nothing about this
Login to Me Too

Temp20221019B
New Community Member

Digital River is AVG the computer security company. It is possible that you purchased an AVG software license and it is automatically renwing. I had the same question and after some research, I found out the Digital River is the billing company for AVG

Login to Me Too

BESREST
Contributor
Contributor

Je trouve anormal de la part d'un vendeur en ligne d'imposer des paiements pré-approuvés à son acheteur et à son insu. C'est ce qui est le cas de DIGITAL RIVER qui vend l'anti-virus AVAST en ligne. JC'est de l'abus de confiance. Je vous donne un conseil surveillez bien votre compte paypal et votre compte bancaire pour ne pas être arnaqué. Paypal exécute des paiements pré-approuvés si vous ne faîtes pas opposition à temps. C'est pire encore  si quelqu'un a piraté le numéro de votre carte de crédit. Evitez d'acheter en ligne un antivirus Avast chez DIGITAL RIVER IRELAND ltd qui n'hésite pas d'employer des opérations peu catholiques pour vous soutirer de l'argent. Marcel <removed>. 

Login to Me Too

rupamgupta
Contributor
Contributor

Hi, 

I was also getting charged a similar amount with a description "Digital River, Ireland" but that is what is denoted on the text that I receive from my bank/ credit card. On investigating the matter and writting to Digital River I figured my monthly automatic payments were towards Adobe Systems for subscribing to the Aodbe Creative. 

You may like to check the actual credit card Bill/statement or Paypal account transaction list to find the same. In my credit card statement, the amount had the description of "DRI *Adobe Sales"

Hope this helps

Login to Me Too

RJC_27

Hey,

I've also been scammed by this company. Only yesturday they took a payment of £49.99 for a subscription i've never signed up to. 

After back tracking through my account, since the 8th June 2015 they have been taking payments without my knowing. 

A total of  £136.97 has been taken so far.

I have reproted it to PayPal and I have also e-mailed them directly to demand a refund and an explanantion. 

The payment was set up on my pre-payments on PayPal, however I have never authorize this as I don't even use Kaspersky software?! 

Has anybody disputed and got a result?

Thanks 

Login to Me Too

jedigramma

I got charged for AVAST, but I never authorized it.  Avast doesn't know who I am, neither does Digital River have a good email address for me.  Paypal won't help.  Just a scam, I guess.

Login to Me Too

Hatsavvy
New Community Member
I e had money debited from my account 26/9/16, how do I recover this?
Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.