Need advice, Digital river unauthorized pay, how to tighten security?

asukatenjou
New Community Member

I noticed today something odd in my account, I was charged about 10 euros from a company known as Digital river, I never dealt with them before and after a bit or research I found out they deal with digital transactions and services. I have checked all my accounts embedded to paypal and have not found anything related to them - just in case I did so - and really have no clue to how they managed to charge me.

I was wondering other than setting down a dispute, and changing all security questions and passwords, what else should I do? Should I consider my credit card in danger and cancel it? I heard sometimes some frauds charge small amounts before wiping your account clean to see if they get away with it.

Also has anyone else been scammed by these people? What did you do?

Login to Me Too
227 REPLIES 227

mel_kay

Hi 

Had the same problem - was charged $49.99 from Trend Micro internet security through digital river and when I called them they pleaded ignorance. They said there was no evidence of a purchase on their side and that I should call the bank. i told them I did that, and that I also reported them (Digital River) for fraud. She immediately backtracked, apologised profusely and asked that I send them my bank statement. No way that was going to happen since I'd already stopped the card. Your bank should be able to recoup the loss through their fraud division but it might take time. Just make sure you stop your card and order a new one. I told her that they should look into their own staff and security as someone is obviously using the company name to defraud people. 

Login to Me Too

traceymack
Contributor
Contributor

(case number: PP-005-524-557-911).    PLEASE HELP ME !!!!!!!!!!!!!
I DOWNLOADED THE (SELFIES AT SEA APP) AND PAID FOR IT WITH PAYPAL... AFTER RETURNING FROM OUR CRUISE.... I CLICKED ON MAKE MOVIE.... AND IT SAYS PREPARING.... PLEASE WAIT... BUT NOTHING HAPPENS... I HAVE TRIED SEVERAL TIMES... AND IT STILL WON'T WORK

Login to Me Too

sharpiemarker
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

Digital River processes payments for various online software companies such as web utility apps that clean out malware, spyware, etc.  I think even Microsoft use them.  So when you use free trials from Avast or AVG, read the fine print.

Kudos & Solved are greatly appreciated. 🙂
Login to Me Too

jamespoulson
Contributor
Contributor

sharpiemarker, the fine print should be clearly stated in the order itself.

The "free" trial from Avast is misleading in that it tacitly renews as a paid subscription.

On top of that, Paypal's One Touch makes it possible for money to be taken from your credit card without your consent.

This is deceptive, dodgy and could pave the way to abuse. As a consequence, I have removed all my cards from the Paypal account.

Login to Me Too

Wishingmoon
Contributor
Contributor
Good tip re. Remove credit cards from PayPal as they don't seem concerned about the DRI deception..
Login to Me Too

sharpiemarker
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@jamespoulson wrote:

sharpiemarker, the fine print should be clearly stated in the order itself.

The "free" trial from Avast is misleading in that it tacitly renews as a paid subscription.

On top of that, Paypal's One Touch makes it possible for money to be taken from your credit card without your consent.

This is deceptive, dodgy and could pave the way to abuse. As a consequence, I have removed all my cards from the Paypal account.

It wouldn't be called fine print, if they did that.  Why would they put something that would be detrimental to completing a sale? I don't condone it but businesses of all kinds have been doing this for ages. You've seen those asterisks and small type on documents and websites. Like, "let's not bore you with the details" but you are your own last line of defense. Always check terms and conditions prior to signing up for anything for strings attachments unless there are absolutely none, then I give you that. What Avast does is similar to those Health & Beauty products that are subscriptions.  "Free Trial" but you must cancel during the free trial or you get charged X amount afterwards. In any case, if you see a charge you are not ok with, dispute it, contact the merchant.  Yes, it is annoying but that's life.  Smiley Wink

I have used Avast before and was never charged.  Never got to the point where I gave them my PayPal or card info.  I was using their Free Edition.  Maybe their sales pitch changed since this was years ago.

Kudos & Solved are greatly appreciated. 🙂
Login to Me Too

MzJan
Contributor
Contributor
Hi everyone I just noticed a transaction as well on my online banking and after reading this comment I realized and remembered purchasing a renewal Microsoft office 365. Why don't they just make it easier and give you a brief description along with the name of the agency charging you. Anyway thank you
Login to Me Too

rogerb505
New Community Member

Can you explain to me when I looked at my Paypal  account I found that I have been charged  £29.99 from Didital River Ireland ?

@asukatenjou wrote:

I noticed today something odd in my account, I was charged about 10 euros from a company known as Digital river, I never dealt with them before and after a bit or research I found out they deal with digital transactions and services. I have checked all my accounts embedded to paypal and have not found anything related to them - just in case I did so - and really have no clue to how they managed to charge me.

I was wondering other than setting down a dispute, and changing all security questions and passwords, what else should I do? Should I consider my credit card in danger and cancel it? I heard sometimes some frauds charge small amounts before wiping your account clean to see if they get away with it.

@asukatenjou wrote:

Login to Me Too

miataboy
New Community Member

I have just received Email from AVAST Antivirus as well as PayPal confirmation that they sent AVAST $43.  I read all the prior messages with interest.  I never authorized a subscription to AVAST though I did use the "free" version.

What I cannot explain is how they were able to find / use my PayPal password?  The only conclusion is that Avast software has features that collect, record and then transmits User IDs and Passwords.  In effect, Avast itself is malware.  I have changed passwords on all websites I visit.  I would suggest to anyone reading my comment to immediately uninstall Avast, change passwords on sites you might be using to pay bills or transfer funds and report fraudulent transactions.

Login to Me Too

Dr-D
New Community Member

Yes I have also been scamed by Digital Rivere Irteland. Appeal to Pay Pal to prevent further scams. I did not approve this purchase and it was unauthorized. 

Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.