Need advice, Digital river unauthorized pay, how to tighten security?

asukatenjou
New Community Member

I noticed today something odd in my account, I was charged about 10 euros from a company known as Digital river, I never dealt with them before and after a bit or research I found out they deal with digital transactions and services. I have checked all my accounts embedded to paypal and have not found anything related to them - just in case I did so - and really have no clue to how they managed to charge me.

I was wondering other than setting down a dispute, and changing all security questions and passwords, what else should I do? Should I consider my credit card in danger and cancel it? I heard sometimes some frauds charge small amounts before wiping your account clean to see if they get away with it.

Also has anyone else been scammed by these people? What did you do?

Login to Me Too
227 REPLIES 227

jamespoulson
Contributor
Contributor

Hi all,

I just noticed an email from Paypal saying that I've been automatically charged €45,48 for DRI*AVAST Software.

I may have done something but I certainly did not enter credit card information and a CVV.

The only email from Paypal on the 2nd of November says that One Touch has been activated.

Apparently, this enables automatic payments which I do not want and I feel tricked by an unclear process.

I have removed all my registered cards from my Paypal account and am seeking a refund.

Login to Me Too

starbaker
Contributor
Contributor

Did you receive your refund?

I have just had £79.90 taken from my account to pay Digital River for an alleged pre payment agreement from 2013.  I had never heard of them before and I have never bought any software ...ever.  The only reason I ever had a Paypal account was for my purchases on Ebay.  I never made any payment agreement with anyone using Paypal.  I didn't even have the same email address in 2013 so how did they access my account this week?  I have created a dispute and Paypal say that they will challenge the charge to Digital River for not providing me with whatever it was that I allegedly agreed to pay for in 2013.       

Login to Me Too

starbaker
Contributor
Contributor

Yes I did receive a partial refund.  It was a struggle to get hold of Digital River but once I did they were very responsive.  

It seems that I signed up for Trend Micro in 2013 for an old computer that was destroyed in 2013.

When it came to a biennial renewal in 2015 Digital River apparently emailed me to an address that I no longer had (therefore I had no idea what was going on) but the payment from Paypal was "pre approved" so I wasn't informed from them either. 

The 2nd biennial renewal in 2017 apparently followed the same format but this time Paypal informed me about the pre apporved payment leaving my account.

In total I paid £204 but I had £160 refunded. 

The moral of the story is: Be careful what buttons you press on your computer!

Login to Me Too

Good luck
Login to Me Too

jamespoulson
Contributor
Contributor

Dear Sir, Madam,

I noticed an email saying a payment had been made to Digital River Ireland while I was afk celebrating the new year.

A free version of Avast is installed on my computer and I may have done something to get rid of a nag screen or renew what I thought was a free trial.

Further investigation reveals an order from the 2nd of November with unnoticed fine print saying that a subscription will automatically renew as a paid one.

The only email from Paypal on the same day says that One Touch had been activated.

Apparently, this enables automatic credit card payments without entering a Cardholder Verification Value and appears very risky .

This is something I do not want in any way as I always pay my bills manually at home and have removed both my debit and credit card from Paypal.

I am seeking a refund.

Login to Me Too

DPCreations
Frequent Advisor
Frequent Advisor

This is a user forum and you won't get a refund here.

Removing cards from you PayPal account won't stop charges, either; those charges will just make your account negavive if there is no way to fund the charges.  If it looks suspcious PayPal could limit your account.

The first place to go is the seller and ask for a refund.  Follow whatever procedure the seller of the antivirus software has established.

If unsuccessful, then go to the funding source for the purchase.  Did you use your credit card or your PayPal account?

Have you removed the software and the add-on?

Login to Me Too

jamespoulson
Contributor
Contributor

I'm aware of this being a user forum and this was just informational.

If there's nothing that can be done through Paypal then this could turn into a serious loophole with dodgy third parties.

The issue here is one of consent and I did not knowingly agree to activating a paid subscription nor have my credit card charged automatically.

It should not be possible to make a payment without a pin code and Cardholder Verification Value (numbers on the back of a card).

I have put in a support request with Avast and waiting for a reply, and will get in touch with the card company if unsuccesful at resolving this with the seller.

Neither credit card or the Paypal account were used by myself as the payment was automatically triggered while I was away from the keyboard celebrating the new year.

This is what One Touch enables and if I knew what the feature (?) does I would have immediately deactivated it.

The trial has been removed, the software has not been downloaded and the activation code has not been used.

Login to Me Too

EmmaNicholls
New Community Member
This has also happened to me at 6.49am when I was driving to work. I have never agreed to this. Paypal said I had made a previous agreement. I know I have not. They will not refund me.
Login to Me Too

DoLinh
Contributor
Contributor

Dear my friends, I have the same issue with AVAST anti-virus company. I claimed to their support service and they feedback positively and immediately. They agree to refund within 7 working days.

In addition to asking for refund, I also ask them to review their policy in which they make the payment automatically without asking customers for permission. 

I hope the refund will be made as their promise and smt will change. Just quick sharing for your information. 

Best, 

Linh 

Login to Me Too

Can_Can
New Community Member

For some reason my account was charged $117 us dollars sometime through the nigh by digital river. I tried to email digital river and the email was undeliverable! then i did a bit of research and found your post! ( i havent used my paypal in 8-10 months)

I changed all of my paypal information and filled a pay retraction, seeing as it takes 2-3 days to deliver the money there is a good chance i might get it back. If I do not get it back i will have to cancel my paypal account to simplify my life, I will have to reduce my vulnerabilities.

Now i just sit back and wait

Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.