My paypal account has been hacked

gilley57
New Community Member

Received text messages and emails in French referring to my Paypal account. I immediately logged into my account, my password was changed and I had to create a new password. The entire page was in French. Someone had transferred $1000 from my checking account into the paypal account. I changed my passwords, my emails. I also transferred the money out of my checking account to stop the withdrawal. I have had no success reaching anyone at PayPal for assistance. Cannot dispute the transaction because the funds were transferred into the paypal from my bank. Any other suggestions or feedback is welcome from anyone who has experience with this. 

Login to Me Too
3 REPLIES 3

kernowlass
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@gilley57

I would also do a virus update and scan on your computer and change security questions as well.

Also seek Paypal AND your banks advice......

Click on the words "Help / Contact" at the bottom of paypals pages and use the phone option in the blue band at the top OR very bottom of page dependent on what country you are in. Scroll down past the list of help questions and click on 'Call us' bottom of that page. Log in and get the code.

When you get through don't select any options just hang on till you get transfered to an agent OR just say the word 'Agent'".

Advice is voluntary.
Kudos / Solution appreciated.
Login to Me Too

dustin2608
New Community Member

I have the exact same issue. Same dollar figure (1,000), except mine was changed to spanish rather than french. Around same date (March 25th) for me. When i called my bank the service rep said he had just gotten off the phone with a third person who had the same exact problem you and I are having-same dollar figure, same date, everything. 

Login to Me Too

PayPal_Drew

Hi @dustin2608

That certainly is strange that they were all the same amount. We tend to see that fraudsters will have specific trends because they think that is the limit of adding money. Were you able to report this instance as unauthorized on the PayPal account? If not, visit your Resolution Center and choose to report a problem. Please let me know if you have any additional questions. 

- Drew

Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.