My money got stolen because my computer got ratted.

Sean6
Contributor
Contributor

The hacker logged into my paypal email on my computer and sent money to his account so yeah I need some help to get the money back.

First, I dispute it as an unauthorized transcation and explained that my computer has been ratted but after 4 days Paypal decided that my account is indeed secure eventhough I explained that the money was sent from my computer so it would look like I'm sending money but apparently Paypal doesn't care about their customers as much on getting scammed jeez.

I've already changed the password and email and reverted the computer to a previous backup so my computer is fine. I need some help to get my money back.

This incident happened on the 26th December if that's any of help, if you need additional info I'll update the first post here and this is my first time making a thread here so if you guys can help me out from this situation that'll be great. Thank you.

Login to Me Too
6 REPLIES 6

William9
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

If the payment was sent from your computer and your IP address (or address in same country) then I think Paypal just can't see that it is hacking. It is not enough to say that scammer sent money and then expect PayPal to return it.

Login to Me Too

kernowlass
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@Sean6

Paypal is not responsible for the security of your own computer.

Advice is voluntary.
Kudos / Solution appreciated.
Login to Me Too

DPCreations
Frequent Advisor
Frequent Advisor

It seems you need to place your computer in a secure location where no one else can access it.  It's your responsibility, not PayPal's.

Login to Me Too

sharpiemarker
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

You don't happen to use a remote access app like TeamViewer or such like?

Kudos & Solved are greatly appreciated. 🙂
Login to Me Too

Sean6
Contributor
Contributor

Nope, I don't use those kind of programs at all on my computer.

Not sure how it got on my computer..

Guess I'm **bleep** by Paypal now, that's really frustrating for me and so I thought Paypal would help out customers was their best interest but apparently.

Login to Me Too

MaCs17
New Community Member

I understand what others are saying that PayPal is not responsible for the security of the computers but they should be responsible to seeing fraudulent transactions. If the transaction is out of norm, meaning that person has not done any transaction  like that before with a really big amount that should be a red flag. Being a red flag they should not automatically execute the transaction and wait for an actual approval from the account holder. For them to not help recover the money is ridiculous specially when we have done everything we can to make sure our computers were secure. 

That said, if this can happen to us it can happen to anyone. 

Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.