More In-depth Seller Protection?

ejosefinx912
New Community Member

Selling an item that is worth $1100, interested buyer wants to pay through paypal and have it shipped. I know that I should get both proof of both shipment and delivery, which it relatively easy to do. How do I prove that the item is how I describe it, like documentation, before I send it? It's a laptop and in perfect working order, but I know that sometimes people will claim defect in order to dispute the charge. Also am I correct in believing that paypal usually will try to detect fraudulent charges when the payments made? But what happens if they don't catch it?

I should definitely have them pay through "pay for goods or services" rather than "send to friends or family", for both our protection?

Thanks for the help

Login to Me Too
3 REPLIES 3

kernowlass
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@ejosefinx912

Firstly can you confirm its not this scam 

>>

They encourage you to use paypal and often don't quibble on price OR want to view stating they are working offshore / disabled / in the military / or buying it for a relative etc etc etc. They always offer to organise the shipping via a courier or shipping agent.

You will get/got a "fake" email that looks as though it is from paypal.....it isn't.
It will say the buyer has paid ...you won't have been paid.

If the item requires shipping the 'fake' paypal email will tell you that the buyer has paid for the item + shipping costs but you must send those shipping costs to the courier via western union / moneygram BEFORE the funds are released to you.

They are not interested in the car / boat / large item they just want the western union etc funds and you will never see money in your paypal balance.

Paypal NEVER tell you to send an item before the payment is showing in your paypal account.
Paypal NEVER expect you to use a rival money transfer service eg moneygram or western union.

Also their is no seller protection on paypal on any items personally collected or delivered etc.

Advice is voluntary.
Kudos / Solution appreciated.
Login to Me Too

Whac-A-Mole
Frequent Advisor
Frequent Advisor

selling anything $700 or more(item and shipping charge) require more than tracking,it must be signed for.

there is no seller protection for item not as described,if the buyer files such dispute,you have no choice but ask them to return the item and then refund.

first ,for your protection,insure the package,electronic goods are easily damaged in transit,if it is used ,or you dont have the original packing material.

second,if it is an Ebay dispute,you pay return shipping and refund original shipping plus the item.

if it is Paypal dispute,buyer pays return shipping.

Item could be damaged in transit returning to you,as buyers are inconsiderate slops and they are not going to take out insurance ,they could also remove a part like a cord or a component they need  or return a rock,it is called switch-a-roo.

since ebay and Paypal have no way to tell who is telling the truth,they tend to side with the buyer,then your only recourse will be to file with USPS,FBI etc which do nothing for you.

Hence the saying-dont sell anything yu cant afford to lose.

try selling locally or on Craigslist where you can ask for non credit card payment and no Paypal.

Login to Me Too

Whac-A-Mole
Frequent Advisor
Frequent Advisor

buyer should send payment under goods and services,not friend and fa,ily,as the latter means he is sending y ou a cash gift,no buyer protection.

Oh,I forget to mention,if ebay and Paypal FAILS To side with him,he can file chargeback with his cc issuer ,if y ou lose,he does not have to return the item,and you wil be socked with a $20 chargeback fee.

If You accept credit card payment via Paypal,you will not find out what evil things he told his cc issuer that you are a crook,you wont let him return the goods,you are nasty and your stuff is dirty and bad,then his cc issuer will say ,if he wont let you return the item,then you keep it and have your money back. 

Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.