Lost dispute, buyer added tracking number, never shipped.

NahueliD
Contributor
Contributor
Hello, I recently lost a dispute to a scammer who claimed I sent a brick when I sent the GPU as agreed. I ended up losing the case even though I submitted a mountain of proof and he had not a single piece of evidence. Anyways, PayPal said that if he sends back the item in the state that I sent it in, he will get a refund. Sure enough, he added tracking info and received a refund. It’s been a week and I’ve been on the phone with the security department and they ended up closing my case and not issuing me a refund. He added the tracking info a week ago and it is still labeled as “label created, not yet in system” in USPS. I have not received a package and the tracking number has been in this state for over a week. If he never sent me a package, shouldn’t I get my money back? What should I do? (I already filed a BBB claim and I am asking for a friend as he is not very tech savvy.)
Login to Me Too
18 REPLIES 18

DPCreations
Frequent Advisor
Frequent Advisor

Why don't you just phone PayPal support and discuss the matter?

Login to Me Too

NahueliD
Contributor
Contributor
That’s what I tried to do with the security department and they still said that they would not refund me. I am going to try to call again tonight and hopefully get somewhere.
Login to Me Too

Whac-A-Mole
Frequent Advisor
Frequent Advisor

Paypal robot would not issue refund unless tracking shows it has been returned to your address given by Paypal.

what does the tracking say?

Go to YOUR PAYPAL ACCOUNT,resolution,all cases and find the case and see what has been uploaded?

Login to Me Too

Whac-A-Mole
Frequent Advisor
Frequent Advisor

is this a Paypal dispute or a credit card chargeback?

sometimes a buyer will go to his credit card issuer and file a chargeback,then Paypal will close the case and wait for his cc issuer to decide.

if he wins ,he does no have to return the item and you will be  slapped with a $20 fee plus losing your payment

Login to Me Too

NahueliD
Contributor
Contributor
No it’s a dispute, item not as described. He claimed I sent a brick. PayPal already decided that if he sends back the “brick” he gets refunded. He uploaded fake tracking and they still refunded him.
Login to Me Too

NahueliD
Contributor
Contributor
The tracking that’s uploaded says “label created, not yet in system”. PayPal said that it can be a glitch where it has been delivered but it doesn’t say so. I haven’t received a package yet. I’m going to call USPS tonight.
Login to Me Too

tomdchi
Contributor
Contributor

I am having almost the exact same problem.  Buyer purchased new GPU from me and then claimed not as described.  They did ship something back but not to my address.  USPS tracking will only show city and state and will not show street so there is no way to verify through tracking that the item actually went to address it was supposed to.  USPS is worthless and PayPal should not allow them to be used.  I went to my local post office and was able to get someone there to give me a document stating the package did not go to my address.  USPS would not tell me where it was actually delivered to.  This will hopefully be enough for PayPal to overturn their decision.  

I think that PayPal's dispute resolution process is severely thawed.  As it is now, anyone can claim not as described and then ship an empty box to the correct city and state but some random street.  The tracking will show delivered and they get their money back.  At that point the burden of proof is on the seller.  If you call PayPal they will just say that the buyer provided a valid tracking number and case closed.  They do not care that tracking does not really verify if the item was delivered to the correct address.

Login to Me Too

NahueliD
Contributor
Contributor
Yep, same problem here except he put up a fake tracking number (I called USPS and they confirmed it was fake) and was able to get it verified and refunded! I mean, come on PayPal, this is stupid. I’m probably gonna stick to local and crypto from now on. Anyways, hopefully I can tell them that USPS themselves claimed that the tracking number is fake. You proof seems damning, so good luck to you.
Login to Me Too

Whac-A-Mole
Frequent Advisor
Frequent Advisor

Paypal robot will take the tracking number to USPS website and look for a match,so it cannot be fake.

For first class mail,USPS will scan delivered -zipcode and city only.

for priority,signature confirmation and insurance over $50, it will be to your address.

scammers are very good these days knowing how paypal works,how USPS works and how Ebay works.

Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.