Issue with buyer

JBeaver
Contributor
Contributor
I sold an ATV to an individual. We sent numerous text messages back and forth, sent every photo he requested. He was out of state, and paid a shipping company to pick it up. When it was picked up it worked perfectly, no issues what so ever. When it was delivered, the shipping person unloaded it with no issues. 2 days later the buyer goes to drive it and battery is dead. He has it tested and was told it needs a battery. He says I’m responsible for purchasing the battery or he is going to have paypal reverse the sale. This sounds absolutely crazy. It worked fine when we loaded it up. He called, cussed me out and hung up. We did a bill of sale and everything.
Login to Me Too
2 REPLIES 2

Snow-Cat
Advisor
Advisor

Sounds like a classic SCAM.    Out of state buyer, uses a 3rd party pick-up/delivery service - both "red flags".   This type of thing happens all the time via Craig's List buyers, they insist on using PayPal, want your email address so they can send you the money, pick up the item, and couple of days later report an issue to PayPal. 

Not even knowing how you received your payment - you basically do not qualify for Seller Protection as the item was not shipped, tracked and insured if applicable.   The User Agreement explains the details concerning Seller Protection, you may want to check the section titled "Ineligible items and transactions".

When selling any type of vehicle or an item that cannot be shipped, tracked and insured if applicable, sell local for "cash". 

Login to Me Too

JBeaver
Contributor
Contributor
So they paid me, and I received the money. They hired a shipping company to pickup the ATV. The company was legit.. they provided tracking number and such to the buyer. I have proof he received the ATV, and the delivery person stated there was no issues when he picked up and delivered it. So what happens now??? Thanks for replying, I’m just trying to understand.
Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.