Is My Buyer Legitimate And If Not, Does PayPal Protect Me?

srahimy1
New Community Member

Hi,

I have sold a pair of sneakers on ebay for $499, however I'm afraid the buyer is a fraud. He has a temporary/disposable email and his address is that of a freight forwarder, many of which are fraudulent buyers using stolen credit cards resulting in my shoes being stolen and my payment being invalidated.

I don't want to risk losing both the shoes and the payment if he is a scam; does paypal seller protection protect me? Is there anyway to prove my item is legitimate and that it reaches him, etc? What if he wants to return it and ships me back an unoriginal shoe?

It looks like the PayPal payment is going through, but I won't ship it until it's finished processing. If paypal seller protection shields me from this potential loss, then I will ship it and get the tracking number as well as package insurance. But my question is: Do I ship it? Am I protected?

Thank you.

Login to Me Too
1 REPLY 1

DPCreations
Frequent Advisor
Frequent Advisor

PayPal is not going to protect you from fraud.  PayPal is not going to protect you from unscrupulous buyers.  PayPal is not going to protect you from being a not-so-smart seller.

There is a lot of fraud with buyer AND sellers of extreme priced shoes.  What is the REAL value of these sneakers? If they are really of high value it means you paid a lot for them.

You really should review and make sure you understand the limitations of PayPal buyer and seller protections.

PayPal WILL protect you in case of a non-receipt dispute and you have valid onlne delivery confirmation to the shipping address provided by PayPal.  That's about the only practical protection you get.

Not as described claims are difficult to prove and equally difficult to defend.  PayPal has no way of knowing anything.  If buyer wins, the buyer returns junk and gets a refund.

Buyer claims not as described with credit card and gets a refund and keeps the shoes.  You get a $20 chargeback after a forced refunds with no fee reversal.

Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.