I was scammed

Nickjying
Contributor
Contributor

Recently I was scammed by a guy from Malaysia through Paypal. This guy asked send invoice to him for an item I put on Ebay. I did. Then an email was sent to me that money was in Paypal's account and asked me send the computer out. Because the money did not show up in my account on Paypal, I carefully asked that email whether that was true. (Certainly) I got answer yes. So I spent $168 to ship the computer out hoping my balance on Paypal would show the money for sold computer. But it did not show up, even after 48 hours that I was told it would. I checked back asking why not? then I got answer that my balance would show within 4 days because their system upgade. How could it take 4 days for Paypal to upgrade its system? at that moment, I felt I was scammed. So I called Paypal customer representative what was going on? I then was told the money had never been sent to my account.

So I had to spend lenthy time with FedEx to re-route my computer back (certainly I need to pay additional shipping cost). Fortunately I found this earlier so I could still take my computer back.

But I do think Paypal needs do good job to give warning when the invoice is sent through it without reference to any transaction record, or I would say, Paypal should never allow people to send invoice through it - think about why - because it is not safe at all. No one would know people use this flaw to conduct fraud scheme.

Login to Me Too
2 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS

Accepted Solutions
Solved

kernowlass
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

Sellers send invoices, buyers don't.

Paypal NEVER tell you to send trackable, they advise it for seller protection etc but it is not compulsory.

Paypal NEVER tell you to send an item before the payment is showing in your paypal account.

Advice is voluntary.
Kudos / Solution appreciated.

View solution in original post

Login to Me Too
Solved

Nickjying
Contributor
Contributor

But I did receive an email from service at paypal.com that I received 850 from that person. Do you want to see that email? I also received email from to confirm the address of that guy, do you want to see it also?

View solution in original post

Login to Me Too
8 REPLIES 8
Solved

kernowlass
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

Sellers send invoices, buyers don't.

Paypal NEVER tell you to send trackable, they advise it for seller protection etc but it is not compulsory.

Paypal NEVER tell you to send an item before the payment is showing in your paypal account.

Advice is voluntary.
Login to Me Too
Solved

Nickjying
Contributor
Contributor

But I did receive an email from service at paypal.com that I received 850 from that person. Do you want to see that email? I also received email from to confirm the address of that guy, do you want to see it also?

Login to Me Too

kernowlass
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

No not really, off to bed in a minute as its nearly midnight here.

However if there were no funds in your paypal account balance then surely the emails could have been spoofs??

Advice is voluntary.
Login to Me Too

TheGarp
New Community Member

That was NOT an email from Paypal.  You should have checked your Paypal account . Emails are easy to create to look just like official emails.

Login to Me Too

eabaudino
Contributor
Contributor

I believe this is happening to me as well right now. I was fortunate enough to be wary of this email I recieved. When I logged into my PayPal account the invoice shows as unpaid and allowed me to send several reminders that I hoped might refresh my account and update the status of the invoice as paid. I responded to the buyer explaining the situation and she continually replied stating that was a hold until I entered tracking info etc. I understand the money is not immediately available to me, but without an invoice showing as paid, I will not send out the item to Nigeria.

Login to Me Too

kernowlass
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

THIS IS A SCAM.

They encourage you to use paypal and often ask you to send the item as a gift to a relative somewhere often Nigeria.

You will get/got a "fake" email that looks as though it is from paypal.....it isn't.

It will say the buyer has paid ...you won't have been paid.

They will tell you that the payment is released when you provide paypal with a tracking/shipping number......this won't happen.

They threaten legal action...have a laugh at that one and ignore it as its rubbish.

Delete any emails and ignore the scammers.

Advice is voluntary.
Login to Me Too

wachoz

recently i openned an dispute for an invoice too , you see this was what happened:

i paid an paypal invoice that was sent to me from new member of ebay, in regard a cell phone purchase. Everything was fine , until the seller sent the cell phone to another address that i never provide . after that i tried to contact the seller but he never answer my e-mails or phone calls . 

now i'm asking in this case how am I protected ? will i get my money back ? and why its taking too long to resolve a dispute ? 20 days . even when the current status escalate to a claim now, since the seller never answered to paypal.

Login to Me Too

Nickjying
Contributor
Contributor
I think PayPal shall never allow to create an invoice and send thought. PayPal is a payment solution. Itself shall not get involved into production transaction. Allow people to send invoice simply by an email address has created a opportunities of scams.
Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.