How to deal with this Paypal Dispute?

kinderyum
Contributor
Contributor

Hi all,

I've already wasted so much time on this scammy customer... ugh!

Back Story - I bought these Stand In Baby dolls from a supplier and have them on a Clearance Sale now which the supplier was/is angry about. Because of this, supplier has been bad mouthing me to people. I'm totally within my rights to have a sale on them if I want to. Anyway, I think this customer has it in her mind, from the get-go, that I might not be a good business to deal with *sigh* because the supplier told her to 'be careful dealing with' me.

I've linked to the chat transcript, below, between myself and the customer that bought one of the dolls. She contacted me saying the foam inside the case was damaged. Warning: the chat transcript is long but kind of amusing if you enjoy getting an insight into a scammer's mind lol. 

I have already installed the Shopify Fraud Filter and blocked her from futher purchases from my stores, but my question is - How should I deal with the Paypal dispute (of $178.01USD - which is 30% of total order price including shipping) that she has just placed? As per the chat transcipt you can see that we agreed that the case was worth $60USD so I'm happy to refund her that, even though the damage is very small.

Now that Paypal has put a hold on the funds, I can't refund her $60USD. I have only 3 options (screen capture linked to, below):

1)Refund the amount she wants ($178.01USD - which is absolutely ridiculous)

2)Show that I've already refunded her (can't do as I haven't and I can't do anything on the transaction as it currently stands) or

3) Send her a new case (which I don't want to as she said she doesn't want it and I just know in my gut that if I do send her a new case she will either claim it as not received or damage the parcel and claim it as damaged). 

Any advise is greatly appreciated! Oh and when I typed '5%' (in the chat transcript) it was actually a typo, I meant to type '15%'.

Paypal Dispute Resolution Centre Options:

https://cdn.shopify.com/s/files/1/1911/8997/files/scammy.jpg

Chat Transcript:

https://cdn.shopify.com/s/files/1/1911/8997/files/Berenicecompressed.pdf

Thanks in advance for any help/advise provided!

p.s. Can I manually send funds to her Paypal email address and then choose/use Option 2 in the PayPal Dispute Resolution Centre options?

Login to Me Too
12 REPLIES 12

DPCreations
Frequent Advisor
Frequent Advisor

When it comes to not as described the outcome is uncertain and neither party really wins.  If buyer wins by PayPal, buyer still has the cost of return.  Seller doesn't come off with no loss either in the best situation.  PayPal has no way of verifying truth of either party.

It's just the was business works--not an ideal world.

This is where the business aspect matters so you plan for the best (least costly option).

A thorough knowledge of the system can help minimize losses.  As a business, make sure profit margin high enough to cover some losses.

Login to Me Too

kinderyum
Contributor
Contributor

OK, just for anyone else that has this same issue and to educate those people that responded to my post....

I accidently misread the Number 1 option available to me with the Paypal Dispute Resolution- I am actually able to manually send the buyer a (refund) of $60USD (agreed value of Carry Case), and then select this transaction in the Dipsute Resolution response to show that I've refunded the customer. I was also able to choose to provide proof of a refund outside of Paypal. I didn't read through my options carefully enough the first time....

Cheers and hope this helps someone else! 🙂 

Login to Me Too

DPCreations
Frequent Advisor
Frequent Advisor

Glad you found all the options to resolve.  I've never been through the dispsute process so I don't know the step details.

I've managed any buyer issues privately.

Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.