cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How to Spot a Fake Email or Website

New Community Member

Re: How to Spot a Fake Email or Website

I received this the following email I was afraid to anser because the encrypted file required downloading to open PLUS the name was badly misspelled like someone who does not speak English as their first language.  I did not send any requests to anyone in more than a year.

<removed> (spelling errors theirs)

Hi!

Yesterday I recieved a request for payment on my paypal account from your behalf - my  email
I suppose that you are the request sender, as long as it contains your private info:

My Name

very old address
very old phone number

The question is - where did you get individual data about my account and why you have sent an request for payment. I have no idea who you are and I don't want to cause any sort of inconvenience. But my lawyer gave me an advise to contact the police relatively the fraud request. Anyway, I do not want to rush with this question, and first of all, I'm planing to find out all therequired details from you. I have attached the payment details in the text document below.
For security reasons file was crypted by password - 9966. 

I expect response and cooperation from you as soon as possible.

Best regards,
<removed>

---
Questa e-mail è stata controllata per individuare virus con Avast antivirus.

<removed>

New Community Member

I got this email and it freaked me out... has to be fake as I never really even use my PayPal and I certainly don't receive money. But what do I do? Anything? Hello! I have a rather delicate issue, which touches directly to you. Be not surprised from where I learned about you! The matter is that I have got already a fourth letter from the unknown person who accuses you of fraud. He insists, that you forced him transfer funds on your PayPal account under imaginary pretext. Andat the same time he pointed out your private information up to address: C N 1... L St P Tx 77... Now he is collecting signatures and planing to go to the police. I recommend you to download the information that he sent to me. I have attached Nll.doc with a copy of all of his emails. Document was encrypted - 4700 Please explain to me what's going on. I think that all of this was a ridiculous misunderstanding. I look forward to hearing from you, Telma Egar
New Community Member

Just got the exact same worded email but from a different "sender". Since I rarely use PayPal, and nothing I have used it for has been for anything other than goods purchased, I didn't even open the attachment.

This is the email I just received.  I never ordered this item and never heard of this company. 

Dear ,

You authorised a payment of $60.00 CAD to Hermès.
Your funds will be transferred when the merchant processes your payment. Any money in your PayPal account at that time will be used before any other payment source.

It may take a few moments for this transaction to appear in your account.
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Merchant - Hermès Sellier (Hermès)
Cavald'Or bangle x 1  Item Number H219AC48988     $60.00 CAD
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Charge will appear on your credit card statement as 'PAYPAL *HERMESPARIS'
Issues with this transaction?
You can cancel this order at any time before shipping: http://ordstore7bx.apistorecan.com/
You have 24 hours to cancel your order without beeing charged.
Yours sincerely,
PayPal

Please do not reply to this email. To get in touch with us, click Help & Contact.