Examples of Suspected Fraud or Fake Emails

PayPal_Andy

Hey Everybody!

In an effort to make things easier to find and research, I'm going to consolidate as many threads as possible where we have examples of people trying to defraud hard working sellers (Craigslist emails, 'PayPal' emails asking you to send money outside of PayPal, etc).  This will also be used as a master thread for future posts regarding this same situation.

When you post your examples here, please remember to not include last names or contact information of whoever is sending these emails.  There's no way to confirm if that person has been defrauded as well and the name is being used fraudulently.

Thanks for your cooperation and remember, keep the conversation productive, on task, and above all, keep it clean. I know these things can be difficult and frustrating, but bleep filled posts or posts that look like government redacted files will never benefit anyone. 😄

Andy

Login to Me Too
2,000 REPLIES 2,000

Rivera
Contributor
Contributor

I am viewing the email on my desk top and my original post included the email address but this forum made me edit it out.  I am 99.999% certain it is PayPal - it just concerns me that they cannot get my Surname absolutely correct

Login to Me Too

DPCreations
Frequent Advisor
Frequent Advisor

To include an email addres here just add a space before or after @

It's also important to make sure the displayed email address is the real email address that the system used; that's where a full header view or the more information view is helpful.

Login to Me Too

yanivush

I got this email.. looks like real paypal service.. but without menoined any names, and it's wrong..

my own tip 🙂 do not download any attachments or click any links inside email message, just enter to paypal account itself from another location (browser or other page ) and see if there are no any problems 🙂

<removed>

Login to Me Too

moggieleigh
Contributor
Contributor

I just received this email with an attachment asking for SS #:

Dear Customer,

There seems to be a few login attempts that we have detected which indicates another person was trying to access your PayPal account without your permission.

Due to this, we have limited your account temporarily until we hear from you. Usually, there can be a number of reasons why we would limit an account. In this case, your account had to be limited to ensure greater security and to protect you and your account.

When an account is limited, there are certain things that our security system prevents you from doing; this usually includes sending, receiving, or withdrawing money.

We ask that you open the attachment that we have sent from this notification. It is a form that you need to go through in order to confirm your identity with us.

After submitting the form, our security team will then carefully review your information that you have provided and remove the limitation. It shouldn't take too long to process.

We apologize for the inconvenience.

Sincerely,

PayPal

Login to Me Too

daniela666
Contributor
Contributor

I received this e-mail 2x yest...both were in junk...how to find it's NOT scam spam???have a nice week...

You need to confirm your bank account before you can move money from your bank account to your PayPal account.

B. Why do I need to confirm my bank account?

We ask you to confirm your bank account for your own protection. Confirming your bank account lets us know that you're the real account owner.

After you confirm your bank account, you can transfer money from your bank account to your PayPal account.

C. How often can I add my bank to a PayPal account?

A bank account can only be linked to one PayPal account at a time. For security reasons, you can't link a bank account that has been linked to 3 previous PayPal accounts.

If your bank account is already linked to a PayPal account that you don't use, consider using your old PayPal account instead of creating a new account. You can update your profile information on the old PayPal account and use it for your payments.

Here's how to delete your new PayPal account:

1. Log in to the new PayPal account.
  2. Click the Profile icon next to "Log out."
  3. Click Close your account under "Account options."

Here's how to get help with login information for your old account:

1. Go to the PayPal website.
  2. Click the question mark next to the email address or password fields next to "Log In."

D. How do I withdraw money to my U.S. bank account?

Here's how to withdraw money from your PayPal account to your U.S. bank account:

1. Log in to your PayPal account.
  2. Click Transfer to your bank under your PayPal balance.
  3. Enter the amount you want to withdraw.
  4. Select the bank account for the deposit, then click Continue.
  5. Review the details, then click Submit.

Depending on your bank, it can take 3-4 business days for the money to appear in your account.

Note:

• You can withdraw money using your bank account (confirmed or unconfirmed) or through a withdrawal at an ATM using your PayPal Debit MasterCard®. In addition, we can send a check if your address is confirmed. A confirmed address means that you either have a credit card registered with a matching address, or you have confirmed an alternate address that's different from your credit card billing address.
  • The minimum you can withdraw to a bank account is $1.00 USD.
  • Withdrawals are converted to U.S. Dollars.

To see a video on adding a bank account click here.

Thanks,

PayPal

Copyright © 1999-2017 PayPal. All rights reserved.

Login to Me Too

daniela666
Contributor
Contributor

is this one scam spam or you sent this message???thanks...

You need to confirm your bank account before you can move money from your bank account to your PayPal account.

B. Why do I need to confirm my bank account?

We ask you to confirm your bank account for your own protection. Confirming your bank account lets us know that you're the real account owner.

After you confirm your bank account, you can transfer money from your bank account to your PayPal account.

C. How often can I add my bank to a PayPal account?

A bank account can only be linked to one PayPal account at a time. For security reasons, you can't link a bank account that has been linked to 3 previous PayPal accounts.

If your bank account is already linked to a PayPal account that you don't use, consider using your old PayPal account instead of creating a new account. You can update your profile information on the old PayPal account and use it for your payments.

Here's how to delete your new PayPal account:

1. Log in to the new PayPal account.
  2. Click the Profile icon next to "Log out."
  3. Click Close your account under "Account options."

Here's how to get help with login information for your old account:

1. Go to the PayPal website.
  2. Click the question mark next to the email address or password fields next to "Log In."

D. How do I withdraw money to my U.S. bank account?

Here's how to withdraw money from your PayPal account to your U.S. bank account:

1. Log in to your PayPal account.
  2. Click Transfer to your bank under your PayPal balance.
  3. Enter the amount you want to withdraw.
  4. Select the bank account for the deposit, then click Continue.
  5. Review the details, then click Submit.

Depending on your bank, it can take 3-4 business days for the money to appear in your account.

Note:

• You can withdraw money using your bank account (confirmed or unconfirmed) or through a withdrawal at an ATM using your PayPal Debit MasterCard®. In addition, we can send a check if your address is confirmed. A confirmed address means that you either have a credit card registered with a matching address, or you have confirmed an alternate address that's different from your credit card billing address.
  • The minimum you can withdraw to a bank account is $1.00 USD.
  • Withdrawals are converted to U.S. Dollars.

To see a video on adding a bank account click here.

Thanks,

PayPal

Copyright © 1999-2017 PayPal. All rights reserved.

Login to Me Too

gandog56
Contributor
Contributor

Every timee I get an email like this, (And I get them constantly) I NEVER click on the link on the email. I always log into Paypal by typing the address in the addresss bar. There is NEVER anything ever wrong with my account. As soon as I verify that, I forward the email to spoof@payal.com, and delete the original.

Login to Me Too

BAM4601
New Community Member

I just got scared about an email that was from "service@paypal". It had the logo when I opened it. It said it was confirming that I sent a payment of $194.60 USD to Susan <removed> (with an email address for <removed>)

<paypal shopping cart contents>

Item name: Irish COuntryside-Sheep Farm Tapestry Wall Art Fabric Piece

Problem with this transaction?

We believe that the payment was made from a suspicious location or under circumstances that may be different than usual. If made without your knowledge you can cancel and receive a full refund.

Cancel the payment (click here) online by confirming you are the account holder.

When I click, a deceptive site alert appeared, with the web address that blinked bahamabows.com/ic.html

another blinked englishlessons.com, then some other letters/symbols.

I went to my PC and logged into paypal. No charges show. I'll be watching, but I think I need to do nothing other than alert others.

Let me know if I should do something else.

First known blatant scam.

Login to Me Too

Kari1
New Community Member

I received the same email yesterday except the name was Teresa Elliott and the total was $294.46. I didn't click any links in the email, I just came straight to my actual PayPal acct and saw that there were no charges pending for that amount to that "seller" on activity page. I'll be keeping an eye on it though.

Login to Me Too

MFCity
New Community Member

I received this the following email I was afraid to anser because the encrypted file required downloading to open PLUS the name was badly misspelled like someone who does not speak English as their first language.  I did not send any requests to anyone in more than a year.

<removed> (spelling errors theirs)

Hi!

Yesterday I recieved a request for payment on my paypal account from your behalf - my  email
I suppose that you are the request sender, as long as it contains your private info:

My Name

very old address
very old phone number

The question is - where did you get individual data about my account and why you have sent an request for payment. I have no idea who you are and I don't want to cause any sort of inconvenience. But my lawyer gave me an advise to contact the police relatively the fraud request. Anyway, I do not want to rush with this question, and first of all, I'm planing to find out all therequired details from you. I have attached the payment details in the text document below.
For security reasons file was crypted by password - 9966. 

I expect response and cooperation from you as soon as possible.

Best regards,
<removed>

---
Questa e-mail è stata controllata per individuare virus con Avast antivirus.

<removed>

Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.