Re: How to Spot a Fake Email or Website

tahoegal
New Community Member

My issue is with what I believe to be a fake commerce website/online shopping scam that uses PayPal to get $ for product that they are not really selling, not a fake PayPal website or email. How do I report this site and make sure PayPal is aware of it and its online shopping scam. I entered my name, shipping info, email address and created a password on the site-They make you register before placing an order. Then they sent me an email telling me to click on the PayPal icon in that email to submit payment. Thankfully, I did not do that but I am still concerned they will have enough info to hack my account. A few years ago someone actually opened a PayPal credit card for $1000 in my name without me doing anything like this so I don't feel I am being overly cautious. I would attach the email here but I can't figure out a way to do that from my outlook account. The website is <removed>. I was shopping for bras and the first clue I had something was wrong was they had styles, colors & sizes that all other websites are sold out of. The second thing was the pricing was dirt cheap. The name of the site has the name of a legitimate website I recently shopped at for bras, etc. in its name <removed> which is wierd. I am so sick of people making lucrative livings by stealing and taking advantage of honest folks. I'm sorry if I posted this in the wrong place-if I did can you direct me to the right place? Thanks in Advance!! 

Login to Me Too
1 REPLY 1

DPCreations
Frequent Advisor
Frequent Advisor

@tahoegal

Just because you don't like the way site works, doesn't mean it's a scam.   PayPal can't manage private web sites.

If you suspect a site to be high risk it would be wise to not register.  Registration gives up information that would be better ot disclosed.

On the other hand, if you actually placed an order, receving an e-mail with a click to pay is NOT a sign of a scam.  Any normal PayPal invoice sent from a PayPal member will have a click to pay link.

Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.