Examples of Suspected Fraud or Fake Emails

PayPal_Andy

Hey Everybody!

In an effort to make things easier to find and research, I'm going to consolidate as many threads as possible where we have examples of people trying to defraud hard working sellers (Craigslist emails, 'PayPal' emails asking you to send money outside of PayPal, etc).  This will also be used as a master thread for future posts regarding this same situation.

When you post your examples here, please remember to not include last names or contact information of whoever is sending these emails.  There's no way to confirm if that person has been defrauded as well and the name is being used fraudulently.

Thanks for your cooperation and remember, keep the conversation productive, on task, and above all, keep it clean. I know these things can be difficult and frustrating, but bleep filled posts or posts that look like government redacted files will never benefit anyone. 😄

Andy

Login to Me Too
2,000 REPLIES 2,000

skier
Advisor
Advisor

Simply put, you're caught up in a Scam.

Regards,

skier

Login to Me Too

Jem
New Community Member

I just posted my moms gold diamond rings on craigslist today and already 2 people have agreed to pay the amount and the they said they will include and extra $100 for the shipment. The first lady I told no to because she was in New Zealand... And then the second lady said that she was in New York and she said the exact same thing as the first lady. "Please reply with your paypal email and your full name" I feel like its a scam, but I really want to sell the rings. I will def not send the packages off until the payment has cleared and is in my bank account... Is there any way I can search the persons email on paypal and see if its legit? Please someone help!!! Thank you, times are hard enough with selling stuff, and then you get jerks who create scams.... ugh!

Login to Me Too

corbinphotos
Contributor
Contributor

@Jem wrote:

I just posted my moms gold diamond rings on craigslist today and already 2 people have agreed to pay the amount and the they said they will include and extra $100 for the shipment. The first lady I told no to because she was in New Zealand... And then the second lady said that she was in New York and she said the exact same thing as the first lady. "Please reply with your paypal email and your full name" I feel like its a scam, but I really want to sell the rings. I will def not send the packages off until the payment has cleared and is in my bank account... Is there any way I can search the persons email on paypal and see if its legit? Please someone help!!! Thank you, times are hard enough with selling stuff, and then you get jerks who create scams.... ugh!

I got something very similiar. It ****IS****  a scam until you GET the money  and that would be into your bank account that is only setup (hopefully) for only online purchases. Only the people at craigslist can see their email, but I would say that the email that they used is probably one of several or many email accounts that they have as my email that I recieved is from a gmail account. I think all of my replys are from a gmail account. Is the email you recieved from harrypsalmorano01 at gmail ?.

You can ask them for an address to sent it to but DO NOT send it to them without verifying with your bank that the money is indeed in the bank account.  I think you should forward the email to spam at craigslist dot com saying that you think this is a scam. Maybe wait a week to see if you do recieve any money and find out this is legit.  I dont know how far the people at craigslist will go with it, but seems like this is internet abuse yadda yadda and after seeing your post, I would let the people at craigslist know. I have posted several things on craigslist and every email has been spam of some sort. Not one legit email. Advertising aint the way it used to be. Guess I have to pay money and advertise in the local paper.

If you want to take it farther, you can ask your local police what to do and or file a complaint with the FBI http://www.ic3.gov/default.aspx

Thank you for your post

Login to Me Too

corbinphotos
Contributor
Contributor

thanks for your post. this is a nice wakeup call through the journey of enlightenment.

Login to Me Too

shanjo
New Community Member

I just want to say thank you very much for posting this i am going though the same thing right now and came to the help forum for help with the emails and everything. i am new to the whole selling thing and was trying to sell a cell phone on craigslist. in the first day of the post a lady wanted to buy the phone for more then i was selling it for. i was excited and needed the extra money so i was about to mail the package and the guy at the post office told me that there was alot of scams coming out of nigeria and not to ship until i got payment.... so i didnt .....DO SHIP OUT UNTIL YOU GET MONEY IN HAND..... i really think we all could have got scamed i am glad to have found all this out before i shipped the phone thanks again.....Smiley Happy

Login to Me Too

aquamarinepress
New Community Member

Hi There,

I just got a scam email exactly like what you describe asking for all the personal details you could think of as well, from this website. It claimed that there was suspicious activity in my paypal account and said it was locked. This is the scam website link to look out for that I got.

Login to Me Too

Roostafari
New Community Member

I just received this, which looks suspicious -

PayPal Issue ID: PP-731-504-374-740

Dear Valued Customer:
Our 24-7 monitoring security system indicates that someone could be trying to use your account without your knowledge of approval.

PayPal may limit your account as a security measure to protect you and your account. It is part of our safeguard plan.
It is uncertain how long it would take us to resolve the issue; it may take a few minutes or several hours depending on the problem.

We have sent an attachment (form) through this email. Please download and open it in your browser to verify your account.
After PayPal verifies your information, the limitations will be lifted. However, if we request more information, continue to respond promptly to speed up the resolution process.

Please do understand that this is a security measure intended to protect you and your account. We apologize for any inconvenience.

Thank you,
PayPal Security Team
Copyright 2016 PayPal Inc. All rights reserved. <removed>

<Attached.html>

Login to Me Too

munawar
Contributor
Contributor

Thank you for your order

Order ID:MHDH2NVNZ6
Receipt Date: 11/10/2016
Order Total:|83.62 | £
|
Security Notices :
If you have not recently done this order using your PayPal ID and if you think some one else has access to your account, Cancel This order and change your password :
Cancel This order Now > Account Verification > (removed)

Support, Support Support
United Kingdom
Copyright (C) 2016 All rights reserved.

Login to Me Too

Rivera
Contributor
Contributor

My problem is that we are told that PayPal will always address us by our correct name which is thus one way of spotting a scam but lately my email notifications that a new monthly statement is available and comes from a Paypal address and which I am 99.999% certain is from PayPal has started to get my surname wrong.

My surname begins with 2 capital letters and they have started capitalizing only the first.

So much for the 'correct name' guarantee.

When I send it to phishing to double check I just get the usual thank you reply but no real answer and phoning PayPal has achieved nothing

When you get dozens of PayPal wannabe scammers emailing you - you want PayPal to be 100% correct to help decipher the real from the scam

Login to Me Too

DPCreations
Frequent Advisor
Frequent Advisor

What is the real email address displayed?  Do you check the email header information which tracks the route of the email?

You might to view it on an email program on your computer to get the best information.  A phone is likely to have the least detail.

For an online mail system you might have to select something like "view source" to see the message header detail.

Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.