How the Paypal/eBay combo is Costing Me Money

nikon0iT
Contributor
Contributor

Here is what happens:

1) I sell something on eBay.

2) The buyer is a scammer. I report this buyer on eBay and don't send them the product intentionally.

3) The original owner of the buyer's account reports the charge to their bank. 

4) PayPal charges me a $20 fee after removing the money from my bank account. This was all done outside of eBay, so I still have to pay the eBay selling fee even though I LOST money (and potentially the product if I would have shipped it). I could not refund the buyer on eBay because they did not ask for one since they reported the charge directly to their bank. The $20 fee is PER ITEM.

I am now down $300 when I haven't even sold any of my products yet. What was I supposed to do in this situation?

Why doesn't PayPal require 2FA AT LEAST when buying? The security for a service that has access to your bank info and credit cards is astonishing low. The way you guys do business is deeply alarming. 

Login to Me Too
6 REPLIES 6

Whac-A-Mole
Frequent Advisor
Frequent Advisor

Since you did not ship the product ,you should cancel the order (s) on ebay,this is how your can get your FVF back from EBay.

it looks like the owner of the credit card file chargeback with his cc issuer and teh $20 is charged by the cc issuer as chargeback fee.

if it comes to 300,then there are 15 transactions in total?

to get Paypal seller dispute for Unauth transaction,you must proof you have shipped to the address given,not necessary delivered and the item must be eligible for protection

Login to Me Too

nikon0iT
Contributor
Contributor

The buyer has up to 90 days after the purchase to report their charge after getting their bill (so its more like 100 days). By time it comes to me, I can no longer cancel the order on eBay and I have already paid the fees. 

Me having to pay anything is absurd because it is PayPal's poorly secured service that caused this problem.

Login to Me Too

Whac-A-Mole
Frequent Advisor
Frequent Advisor

I am confused,the scammer bought something from you but you suspect fraud and reported him tO eBAY and you never ship the item.

Since you have no intention of shipping the item,then you should refund the payment?

then there is no payment,hence no chargeback.

so what is this $300 ?

Login to Me Too

Whac-A-Mole
Frequent Advisor
Frequent Advisor

@nikon0iT wrote:

The buyer has up to 90 days after the purchase to report their charge after getting their bill (so its more like 100 days). By time it comes to me, I can no longer cancel the order on eBay and I have already paid the fees. 

Me having to pay anything is absurd because it is PayPal's poorly secured service that caused this problem.

since you never ship the item,you dont wait 90 days or 180 days,you refund the payment rightaway,if you do this via My Ebay,you get both paypal and Ebay fees back.

Login to Me Too

nikon0iT
Contributor
Contributor

Theres a big reason why they are announcing the split..... 

only that its 5 years too late.

Login to Me Too

NormK1
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

These are some of the reasons I will NEVER EVER sell anything on ebay ever again, been stung, never again

Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.