How does this scam work for the scammer, assuming I'm fooled?

rroxby
Contributor
Contributor

A person tells me he is sending me money for an item I listed in craigs list.  A few moments later I get an email saying that the money has been deducted from the buyer's account and will be credited to mine after I reply to that email with a tracking number for the shipped item.  It gives a name and address to ship it to.  (There is no record of the transaction on the PayPal site, if course). But even if I fell for this, how does it work for the scammer?  It seems to me the only way he can get the item is to steal it out of the mailbox at the address I sent it to (I assume it isn't his real address), and when I notice that the money is still not in my account, I can call the cops  and at least try to have him arrested when he tries to get the item.  Is there some way he can use the tracking number to redirect the package?  I don't get it.

Login to Me Too
4 REPLIES 4

DPCreations
Frequent Advisor
Frequent Advisor

"Buyer" benefits by getting the item for free.

What be a reason for an arrest cause?  For using a fake PayPal emal address which you blindly accept?

What law did the "buyer" violate?

The "buyer" would also know you are gullible and could try for a different scam as the buyer has your "live" email address.

Login to Me Too

rroxby
Contributor
Contributor

Well, if it's his reall address, I know where he lives and he faces the possibility that I will take action.  It is fraud, after all.  If he steals it out of somebody's mailbox, it's a felony.  If it's a kid, nothing much would happen to him, probably, but is a record worth it for an old cell phone?

Login to Me Too

DPCreations
Frequent Advisor
Frequent Advisor

If it's a mail fraud issue, then it is the sender who is involved in the fraud.  The buyers didn't use the mail system so no mail fraud for the buyer.  The seller was a willing participant in the scheme.

Login to Me Too

lancelotme
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

if you ship to the address he provided,he does not have to steal,it is probably his address and his mail box.

you can report him to USPS fraud division,local police,FBI ,but they all have  a file of such cases they probably wont do anything for you

Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.