How does a seller refund a payment if you have a dispute open.

frog
Contributor
Contributor

I bought an item on christmas day and as it didn't arrive by the 5th I emailed the seller and they said they've put in a query with the courier and they will get back to me ASAP but they never contacted me until I opened a dispute for INR. I then received the item but it was damaged so I contacted the seller through email and they arranged a courier to have it picked up on wednesday. The item have now been returned to the seller so I emailed them to find out when I would receive the refund but they are saying they have tried to refund but paypal isn't letting them as it looks like the payment is being held by paypal. 

I've now changed the dispute to item not as described and put in the message box that the item was delivered back to them on Thursday but how do I get the seller to refund me. Do they have to go to my original payment or do they have to go in to the dispute.

Login to Me Too
6 REPLIES 6

kernowlass
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@frog

I hope you provided paypal with trackable proof the item was returned to the seller, if so then paypal will see that tracking number and issue a refund.

Advice is voluntary.
Kudos / Solution appreciated.
Login to Me Too

frog
Contributor
Contributor

When I changed the dispute to item not as described I thought when I put the tracking number in where it asks to provide additional information this would be sent to paypal. Have I done the wrong thing by sending the item back before paypal asked me to send the item back. The dispute is showing awaiting other party's response so will they get the option to refund.

Login to Me Too

DPCreations
Frequent Advisor
Frequent Advisor

I think this will be an extremely difficult situation as you didn't follow through with the initial dispute and decided to work on an alternate resolution outside of PayPal.

When you file a dispute, let it work out to the end and follow PayPal policies.  For not as described, wait to return until after PayPal instructs you to return.  PayPal has no record of the return since you made your own decision to return.

I don't think the seller will willingly refund as there is no incentive for the seller to do so.

No you'll need to contact PayPal for help.  You need to have a tracking number to show the buyer received the item. 

If you never escalated the dispute to a claim, it will just close with no action.  Status is important.

You will need to work with PayPal to fix the issue so that PayPal will force the refund.

Login to Me Too

frog
Contributor
Contributor
The dispute is waiting for the seller to reply but how long does paypal give them.
Login to Me Too

DPCreations
Frequent Advisor
Frequent Advisor

Once escalated to a claim then PayPal has 10 days to resolve.

Login to Me Too

frog
Contributor
Contributor

When does paypal give you the option to escalate the case as it' still showing awaiting other party's response.

Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.