How can I appeal Paypal's decision?

glitterninja
Contributor
Contributor

I purchased some jewelry from Guess online last month and when it arrived, it was very poor quality with some broken pieces.

I went through the Guess online return process, got a return authorization, shipped the items back to the return address I was given, and tracking showed they were received by Guess on Nov 7th.

I never did get a refund and couldn't get anyone at Guess to answer either phone calls or emails, so I opened a dispute on Dec 5th. I gave Paypal the tracking number showing the items were received at the Guess return office, gave them the return authorization info, everything they needed for the dispute.

On the 6th, Guess escalated it to a claim and said they would refund me as soon as they got the items back, and claimed they weren't received yet. I couldn't respond to their comments and got the message that the process was now closed and Paypal would decide the case.

On the 7th, Paypal said they were "unable to verify delivery to your seller" and decided in favor of Guess. So now I have no jewelry and am out all the money, too.

I want to appeal this -- is there any way? The tracking number says RIGHT THERE that the return was received on Nov 7th. How did Paypal miss this?

Any thoughts?

Login to Me Too
28 REPLIES 28

DPCreations
Frequent Advisor
Frequent Advisor

You filed a creditr card dispute and later withdrew it, but the you had already put the process in play and cancellation does not undue what you started.

Login to Me Too

glitterninja
Contributor
Contributor

You know what? On Dec 8th, you told me to "file a claim with your credit card like @sumiko stated"

Those were your words. You and @Whac-A-Mole suggsted it, as did @sharpiemarker

I took the advice of all three of you.

A month ago, you suddenly changed your tune and said I shouldn't have filed the claim. I withdrew the claim and now you're still saying well, you can't undo your mistake.

The mistake you suggested I make, might I remind you.

Okay, fine. Message received.

Login to Me Too

DPCreations
Frequent Advisor
Frequent Advisor

There was a lot more information revealed after the initial recommendation and it was clear at the first recommendation that you were not going to follow through with your intial disputes.

Login to Me Too

Rhodo34
Contributor
Contributor

let me state that i am no expert by any means.  but i think what has happened is that you used maybe USPS or Fed Ex and when they upload a delivery to the tracking, they only specify a city and not an exact address.  I have only learned about this recently.  I was researching whether or not I really needed to require a delivery signature all the time on expensive orders or if notice of delivery on the tracking info was suffiecent for delivery proof.  Because I had read somewher that a delivery scan was good enough.  However, upon further examination I found that a delivery scan is only acceptable if the full address is shown on the tracking and not simply the city.   I believe I fgound this on Ebay's website rather than here, but maybe the same applies.  I then looked at the tracking on some of my shipments.  I only use USPS and Fed Ex.  I hate the other guys.  sure enough, those 2 only have a city listed when the item is delivered.  So, I am continuing to require a delivery signature when the value of a shipment makes it important to do so.

R

Login to Me Too

Whac-A-Mole
Frequent Advisor
Frequent Advisor

For Ebay and Paypal seller protection,any payment $750 or more requires signature confirmation,but this is not required for credit card direct payment,AMEX would not askfor signature.

It is not true USPS delivery confirmation just say delivered,it would say delivered to address or delivered to person,usuall the postman scanned it .

But overseas first class mail differs,like UK,it could say delivered not to an address but to the country,which renders tracking worthless if a buyer filed dispute.

Cant say the same with Fed Exp,I dont use Fed Exp

Login to Me Too

Rhodo34
Contributor
Contributor

my USPS deliveries only show city, no address in the tracking.

Login to Me Too

glitterninja
Contributor
Contributor

Rhodo, thank you for this -- I checked and the tracking does indeed only show the city.

It's frustrating because this is postage I purchased through Paypal, so you'd think they'd have the full tracking info, but you were right and it does show just the city and not the street address (or the specific door number that you need on this return, it's "Guess E-Commerce Returns Door #6").

That very well could be the problem. It never would have occurred to me if you hadn't said you'd had problems too.

Login to Me Too

Kymmk58
Contributor
Contributor

PayPal don't actually read your mails. If you keep complaining they will close and freeze your account. Take the complaint to a Financial Ombudsman or a Court. See Facebook Page PayPal Problems

Login to Me Too

Whac-A-Mole
Frequent Advisor
Frequent Advisor

when you open a case of not as described,you will not see a place to upload tracking.

if seller agrees to return,then you will see aplace to load tracking.

OR ifyou or seller get Paypal involved and it decides you should return the item,then there is a place to upload tracking.

Most cases are handled by robots,if you are not satisified with the outcome then appeal and a human will be involved/

it sounds like you did not upload tracking to the right slot expected,robot cant find it so you lose.

comments and narrative and video do not work with robots.

if you can find where you can appeal,call Paypal.

PAYPAL just does not have the resouces to manually go thru every dispute,looking in comments field,read long narratives ,or watch movies.

Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.