How can I appeal Paypal's decision?

glitterninja
Contributor
Contributor

I purchased some jewelry from Guess online last month and when it arrived, it was very poor quality with some broken pieces.

I went through the Guess online return process, got a return authorization, shipped the items back to the return address I was given, and tracking showed they were received by Guess on Nov 7th.

I never did get a refund and couldn't get anyone at Guess to answer either phone calls or emails, so I opened a dispute on Dec 5th. I gave Paypal the tracking number showing the items were received at the Guess return office, gave them the return authorization info, everything they needed for the dispute.

On the 6th, Guess escalated it to a claim and said they would refund me as soon as they got the items back, and claimed they weren't received yet. I couldn't respond to their comments and got the message that the process was now closed and Paypal would decide the case.

On the 7th, Paypal said they were "unable to verify delivery to your seller" and decided in favor of Guess. So now I have no jewelry and am out all the money, too.

I want to appeal this -- is there any way? The tracking number says RIGHT THERE that the return was received on Nov 7th. How did Paypal miss this?

Any thoughts?

Login to Me Too
28 REPLIES 28

DPCreations
Frequent Advisor
Frequent Advisor

What delivery service did you use?  How did you provide the tracking number to PayPal?

Login to Me Too

glitterninja
Contributor
Contributor

USPS, and I provided all the tracking information in the comment box when I opened the dispute.

Login to Me Too

Whac-A-Mole
Frequent Advisor
Frequent Advisor

There should be an appeal button ,go to closed case and find the case,

Next time,open a case of item not as described and ask to return,when approved,then upload the tracking number,tracking number should be in a place for that purpose,not in comments field.   

Login to Me Too

glitterninja
Contributor
Contributor

I did open a Significantly Not as Described dispute.

When I filed the dispute, there wasn't any blank for the tracking number, but the instructions specifically indicated to explain the problem and make sure to include the tracking number in the explanation.

And I cannot find an "appeal" button anywhere on the closed case. I've expanded all the fields and it's just not there.

Login to Me Too

glitterninja
Contributor
Contributor

Okay, so let me clarify: I was supposed to tell Paypal I HADN'T returned the items already, even though I had? And then I would have gotten a page with a blank to put the tracking number in?

How on earth was I supposed to know that I was supposed to LIE and say I hadn't returned the items? That can't be their actual policy.

And again, there is NO appeal button on the case page. Have they just disabled my ability to appeal for giggles?

Login to Me Too

Whac-A-Mole
Frequent Advisor
Frequent Advisor

if you used your credit card,file chargeback with them

Login to Me Too

DPCreations
Frequent Advisor
Frequent Advisor

When you decide to file a dispute, you need to do everthying by the dspute.  You returrned BEFORE filing the dispute so the dispute isn't going to work correctly.

You should file for not as described and then wait for instructions to return or whatever.  You would need to start over as if you hadn't returned the time yet

Rather than that you might be able to phone PayPal customer service to fix the issue.

Or, file a claim with your credit card like @Whac-A-Mole stated

Login to Me Too

glitterninja
Contributor
Contributor

I can see what you are both saying, but I didn't know I would need to file a dispute until Guess lost/misplaced/misfiled the return and then refused to answer my queries about it. Every company I've had to return an item to has had their own returns policy and Guess was no exception. They're honestly the only place I've ever bought from who has refused to refund my money after a return.

And since the form I filled out on Paypal asked me to give them the tracking number for my return in the comments, it really seems like Paypal has a procedure for this exact situation -- it's frustrating because they specifically ASKED for the tracking number, and I gave it to them, then they did nothing with it and just blindly believed Guess saying they never got it. Why ask for the tracking number if they're not going to even look it up?

The whole thing is sketchy as heck, honestly. Lesson learned --  no more using Paypal for purchases online.

Thank you both for your replies.

Login to Me Too

glitterninja
Contributor
Contributor

Just wanted to give a final update on this: I contacted Paypal again and was sent a message saying the reason they ruled in Guess' favor is because "your tracking shows item delivered at non acceptable address."

Since I used the address given to me by Guess themselves -- they give you a label to print out, which I used -- I'm baffled as to what happened here.

Paypal is adamant that they will not refund my money on this, so again, it's lesson learned for me.

Thanks again to everyone's replies.

Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.